Re: [GTh] The Strange Case of the Nancy Johnson Translation

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2006
      Just to give notice that I've added two "Short Notes"
      to my main page. One of them is basically the note I
      wrote to the list some time back on the number of
      books in the jar. The other is called "The Strange
      Case of Nancy Johnson", and links to the Iyer page
      I uploaded yesterday. What these short notes have
      in common is that they're both intended to counter
      continuing misinformation.

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
        Hmmm. Just slowed down for the week and re-read this. I didn't *mean* to
        sound arrogant and dismissive, but I suspect that's how this probably comes
        across. From my perspective, paraphrases or 'renderings' are useful for
        texts that have been around for a very long time, so that people are so
        familiar with them that they take them for granted and don't really *read*
        them. A paraphrase can highlight a different way of understanding the text
        to the traditional reading of it. What it usually does for me is to send me
        back to the original to see if you can *really* get that from it.

        My personal experience makes me very wary of people who twist text so that
        they can use it as the basis of some unhelpful theology or another. Mostly
        I have worked with text that I (and they) regard as Scripture, and therefore
        authoratitive, so there is much more at stake than there is when you're more
        interested in what the people who wrote it and used it understood it to
        mean, which is how I work with Thomas.

        So I think the point I was *trying* to make was that paraphrases/renderings
        have their place, but I don't think it's in "scholarly" examination of texts
        and I am not sure that Thomas has had the time to get so stale that there's
        a big need for a paraphrase/rendering.

        Judy