Re: [GTh] The Names of Mary

  • Benjamin BAum
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2006
      I'm on and off reading a book that covers this very subject....

      http://www.amazon.com/Mariam-Magdalen-Mother-Deirdre-Good/dp/0253217512/sr=8-1/qid=1164658637/ref=sr_1_1/105-2195720-2138842?ie=UTF8&s=books

      although its a bit boring so far...strictly academic..so far...

      when I am not at work I'll post more...

      Benjamin Baum
    • Paul Lanier
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 27, 2006
        > Another question that may be affected here is whether or not GTh shows
        enough familiarity with Hebraic-Christian traditions to be considered the
        product of Hebrews

        Hi Michael,

        If true this would suggest a trajectory from DSS to GTh, as Hebrews incorporates 1QS themes (especially the Priesthood of Melchizadek).

        regards, Paul

        Michael Grondin <mwgrondin@...> wrote:
        An article in our local big-city newspaper has caused me to mull over the
        different forms of the name of Mary, as found in the Gospel of Thomas
        ('Mariham') and the Gospel of Philip (the NT Greek form 'Maria'). Focusing
        on the presence or absence of the last 'm' ('Maria' vs. 'Mariam' and its
        variants) , and the assertion in the article that 'Maryam' was the form of
        the name in the Q'uran, I wondered what could be said about the geographic
        location of the various forms of the name. Hopefully, someone here knows
        something about this, and can comment on it, but for starters, I consulted
        Harper's Bible Dictionary, which has two articles - one on 'Mary' and one on
        'Miriam' - the former focusing on various NT characters, the latter on the
        sister of Moses and Aaron.

        With respect to 'Mary', HBD (article by Winsome Munroe) has this to say:

        "Gk. _Maria_ or _Mariam_; Heb. _Marah_, 'bitter' or 'grieved,' or _Miryam_,
        'rebellion' ..." (HBD, 1985, p.610)

        Right off the bat, this threw cold water on my initial supposition that
        'Maria' was the invariant Greek form and thus might be the northern
        Mediterranean form (working its way into Spanish, et al), with 'Mariam' (and
        its variants with final 'm') the southern Mediterranean form (Hebrew,
        Egyptian, etc., working its way into Islam). I didn't do a survey of the NT,
        but with the assumption that 'Maria' was the invariant form therein, I
        turned to the LXX (Brenton version) and found that Moses' sister was always
        called 'Mariam' (why HBD changed it to 'Miriam' is beyond me, but the names
        are sufficiently similar not to make a big deal of.) Since the LXX is Greek,
        of course, the HBD article on 'Mary' is evidently correct to say that
        'Maria' and 'Mariam' were both attested in Greek - though the suspicion
        lingers that 'Mariam' might be more of a "Hebraic-Greek". So why did the
        authors of GTh use 'Mariham' while the authors GPh used 'Maria'? Is this
        still evidence that they came from two different cultures or geographic
        locations? Or that GTh is older than GPh (being as how the LXX with its
        'Mariam' is older than the NT with its 'Maria')?

        Another question that may be affected here is whether or not GTh shows
        enough familiarity with Hebraic-Christian traditions to be considered the
        product of Hebrews (albeit "Jews No More", as one book-title has it). If
        'Mariam' (and its variant 'Mariham' in GTh) was a Hebraic-Greek form, that
        may be one indication that that might be so.

        Mike Grondin
        Mt. Clemens, MI
        The Coptic Gospel of Thomas in Context
        http://www.geocities.com/mwgrondin/index.htm