Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [GTh] key to exercises in Lambdin/Coptic fonts

Expand Messages
  • Michael Grondin
    Bill et al - The problem I m experiencing does seem to have to do with my video card (NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, to be precise). I ve downloaded and switched drivers
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 29, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      Bill et al -

      The problem I'm experiencing does seem to have to do
      with my video card (NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, to be precise).
      I've downloaded and switched drivers to no avail, but I did
      discover that the problem stems from the code for the right
      arrow symbol (→) in Bill's page. Oddly, any numeric
      code less than 1424 causes no problem, but any code higher
      than 1423 disrupts the overstrokes in the Coptic following it.
      I can't figure any logical reason for that particular break point,
      or why it should affect the <span> statement following it, but
      it does. It doesn't help either to use →, the alternative for
      the numeric code.

      I'll keep trying to fix this problem, but in the meantime if
      anyone has the above-mentioned video card or some guess
      as to what the problem might be, please contact me offlist.

      BTW, re you'alls 'supralinear' vs. Layton's 'superlinear': I
      looked it up and couldn't see a dit's worth of difference
      between 'super-' and 'supra-'. That's confusing, but since
      one pretty much has to add the word 'stroke' anyway to specify
      what it IS that's above the line (there's some super/supralinear
      corrective lettering in spots), I think I'll stick with 'over-stroke'
      (uberstroken, if you like.)

      Re: PDF converter
      I have one called 'PDF Xchange' that I've used on all the
      pdf documents on my site. It does have the problem noted,
      that things don't always come out the way they look on the
      original Word or Excel document.

      Cheers,
      Mike
    • Judy Redman
      ... I ve been using Acrobat 5.0 (the current release is ver 8). Although it s not supposed to play happily with Word 2003, it was fine until recently. It
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 29, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        Mike writes:
        >
        > Re: PDF converter
        > I have one called 'PDF Xchange' that I've used on all the pdf
        > documents on my site. It does have the problem noted, that
        > things don't always come out the way they look on the
        > original Word or Excel document.

        I've been using Acrobat 5.0 (the current release is ver 8). Although it's
        not supposed to play happily with Word 2003, it was fine until recently. It
        suddenly decided that it wasn't going to work when I was trying to convert
        something really *important* into pdf. :-) At the suggestion of my resident
        geek, I installed OpenOffice (free, open source word processing), opened the
        files in it and exported them as pdf. I can't do my work directly in
        OpenOffice because it doesn't talk to Endnote, so I had to export the files
        as rtf to keep the footnoting and bibliography, but it rendered the Coptic
        faultlessly. More fiddly than the full version of Acrobat, but much, much
        cheaper.

        Judy
      • Michael Grondin
        This is to let you all know that I ve finally solved the problem mentioned in my earlier notes. The short story is that I switched from IE6 to IE7. The long
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 30, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          This is to let you all know that I've finally solved the
          problem mentioned in my earlier notes. The short
          story is that I switched from IE6 to IE7. The long story
          is this: yesterday, a friend of mine suggested that the
          problem was more likely with the browser than with
          the video driver. Taking his advice, I downloaded and
          installed Firefox to see if that browser made a difference.
          It did; it worked fine. At first I thought there might be a
          difference in options between the two browsers, but I
          couldn't find one that made Internet Explorer run right.
          Then I noticed that IE used several add-ons to handle
          HTML, and the thought occurred that these might be out
          of date. Turning my attention to the MS website in search
          of updated add-ons, I discovered that there was a newer
          version of IE itself, so I installed that and it worked fine.

          I'll probably never know (since I don't plan to waste time
          pursuing it) exactly what the problem was with my copy
          of IE6, but this is to advise any others who may experience
          the same problem with displaying the Coptic on Bill's page.
          Older HTML converters may not handle large code numbers
          correctly.

          Cheers,
          Mike Grondin
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.