RE: [GTh] key to exercises in Lambdin

  • dhindley@compuserve.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 28, 2006
      Paul,

      <<I use PDF Creator to create PDF files. It's free and it works great. The reviews for it are also very favorable.

      PDF Creator installs a virtual printer called PDF Creator. This is the standard method of making a PDF file. It doesn't actually
      print any hardcopy, it just creates the PDF file by "printing to file." Adobe does the same thing, you just don't see it.

      To use it, open your document (in Word or Excel or other application), click File, then click Print, then select PDF Creator in the
      drop-down Name box. PDF Creator will then ask you for metadata, such as document author, before it creates the PDF file.

      PDF Creator 0.9.3 is available as a free open source application at SourceForge:
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/>>

      When I looked at PDF files and fonts a while back, one problem I encountered was that not all PDF converters work with all fonts.
      The full-blown Adobe Acrobat Professional program can embed just about any font you throw at it, but costs something like $449. The
      other programs out there that can create PDF files often seemed to work only with the more common (True Type?) fonts. Also, they do
      not always create a true WYSIWYG end product, but maybe that is a problem with PDF files in general that I am not familiar with.

      Respectfully,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio USA
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 29, 2006
        Bill et al -

        The problem I'm experiencing does seem to have to do
        with my video card (NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, to be precise).
        I've downloaded and switched drivers to no avail, but I did
        discover that the problem stems from the code for the right
        arrow symbol (→) in Bill's page. Oddly, any numeric
        code less than 1424 causes no problem, but any code higher
        than 1423 disrupts the overstrokes in the Coptic following it.
        I can't figure any logical reason for that particular break point,
        or why it should affect the <span> statement following it, but
        it does. It doesn't help either to use →, the alternative for
        the numeric code.

        I'll keep trying to fix this problem, but in the meantime if
        anyone has the above-mentioned video card or some guess
        as to what the problem might be, please contact me offlist.

        BTW, re you'alls 'supralinear' vs. Layton's 'superlinear': I
        looked it up and couldn't see a dit's worth of difference
        between 'super-' and 'supra-'. That's confusing, but since
        one pretty much has to add the word 'stroke' anyway to specify
        what it IS that's above the line (there's some super/supralinear
        corrective lettering in spots), I think I'll stick with 'over-stroke'
        (uberstroken, if you like.)

        Re: PDF converter
        I have one called 'PDF Xchange' that I've used on all the
        pdf documents on my site. It does have the problem noted,
        that things don't always come out the way they look on the
        original Word or Excel document.

        Cheers,
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 29, 2006
          Mike writes:

          > Re: PDF converter
          > I have one called 'PDF Xchange' that I've used on all the pdf
          > documents on my site. It does have the problem noted, that
          > things don't always come out the way they look on the
          > original Word or Excel document.

          I've been using Acrobat 5.0 (the current release is ver 8). Although it's
          not supposed to play happily with Word 2003, it was fine until recently. It
          suddenly decided that it wasn't going to work when I was trying to convert
          something really *important* into pdf. :-) At the suggestion of my resident
          geek, I installed OpenOffice (free, open source word processing), opened the
          files in it and exported them as pdf. I can't do my work directly in
          OpenOffice because it doesn't talk to Endnote, so I had to export the files
          as rtf to keep the footnoting and bibliography, but it rendered the Coptic
          faultlessly. More fiddly than the full version of Acrobat, but much, much
          cheaper.

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 30, 2006
            This is to let you all know that I've finally solved the
            problem mentioned in my earlier notes. The short
            story is that I switched from IE6 to IE7. The long story
            is this: yesterday, a friend of mine suggested that the
            problem was more likely with the browser than with
            the video driver. Taking his advice, I downloaded and
            installed Firefox to see if that browser made a difference.
            It did; it worked fine. At first I thought there might be a
            difference in options between the two browsers, but I
            couldn't find one that made Internet Explorer run right.
            Then I noticed that IE used several add-ons to handle
            HTML, and the thought occurred that these might be out
            of date. Turning my attention to the MS website in search
            of updated add-ons, I discovered that there was a newer
            version of IE itself, so I installed that and it worked fine.

            I'll probably never know (since I don't plan to waste time
            pursuing it) exactly what the problem was with my copy
            of IE6, but this is to advise any others who may experience
            the same problem with displaying the Coptic on Bill's page.
            Older HTML converters may not handle large code numbers
            correctly.

            Cheers,