RE: [GTh] key to exercises in Lambdin
<<I use PDF Creator to create PDF files. It's free and it works great. The reviews for it are also very favorable.
PDF Creator installs a virtual printer called PDF Creator. This is the standard method of making a PDF file. It doesn't actually
print any hardcopy, it just creates the PDF file by "printing to file." Adobe does the same thing, you just don't see it.
To use it, open your document (in Word or Excel or other application), click File, then click Print, then select PDF Creator in the
drop-down Name box. PDF Creator will then ask you for metadata, such as document author, before it creates the PDF file.
PDF Creator 0.9.3 is available as a free open source application at SourceForge:
When I looked at PDF files and fonts a while back, one problem I encountered was that not all PDF converters work with all fonts.
The full-blown Adobe Acrobat Professional program can embed just about any font you throw at it, but costs something like $449. The
other programs out there that can create PDF files often seemed to work only with the more common (True Type?) fonts. Also, they do
not always create a true WYSIWYG end product, but maybe that is a problem with PDF files in general that I am not familiar with.
Cleveland, Ohio USA
- Bill et al -
The problem I'm experiencing does seem to have to do
with my video card (NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, to be precise).
I've downloaded and switched drivers to no avail, but I did
discover that the problem stems from the code for the right
arrow symbol (→) in Bill's page. Oddly, any numeric
code less than 1424 causes no problem, but any code higher
than 1423 disrupts the overstrokes in the Coptic following it.
I can't figure any logical reason for that particular break point,
or why it should affect the <span> statement following it, but
it does. It doesn't help either to use →, the alternative for
the numeric code.
I'll keep trying to fix this problem, but in the meantime if
anyone has the above-mentioned video card or some guess
as to what the problem might be, please contact me offlist.
BTW, re you'alls 'supralinear' vs. Layton's 'superlinear': I
looked it up and couldn't see a dit's worth of difference
between 'super-' and 'supra-'. That's confusing, but since
one pretty much has to add the word 'stroke' anyway to specify
what it IS that's above the line (there's some super/supralinear
corrective lettering in spots), I think I'll stick with 'over-stroke'
(uberstroken, if you like.)
Re: PDF converter
I have one called 'PDF Xchange' that I've used on all the
pdf documents on my site. It does have the problem noted,
that things don't always come out the way they look on the
original Word or Excel document.
- Mike writes:
>I've been using Acrobat 5.0 (the current release is ver 8). Although it's
> Re: PDF converter
> I have one called 'PDF Xchange' that I've used on all the pdf
> documents on my site. It does have the problem noted, that
> things don't always come out the way they look on the
> original Word or Excel document.
not supposed to play happily with Word 2003, it was fine until recently. It
suddenly decided that it wasn't going to work when I was trying to convert
something really *important* into pdf. :-) At the suggestion of my resident
geek, I installed OpenOffice (free, open source word processing), opened the
files in it and exported them as pdf. I can't do my work directly in
OpenOffice because it doesn't talk to Endnote, so I had to export the files
as rtf to keep the footnoting and bibliography, but it rendered the Coptic
faultlessly. More fiddly than the full version of Acrobat, but much, much
- This is to let you all know that I've finally solved the
problem mentioned in my earlier notes. The short
story is that I switched from IE6 to IE7. The long story
is this: yesterday, a friend of mine suggested that the
problem was more likely with the browser than with
the video driver. Taking his advice, I downloaded and
installed Firefox to see if that browser made a difference.
It did; it worked fine. At first I thought there might be a
difference in options between the two browsers, but I
couldn't find one that made Internet Explorer run right.
Then I noticed that IE used several add-ons to handle
HTML, and the thought occurred that these might be out
of date. Turning my attention to the MS website in search
of updated add-ons, I discovered that there was a newer
version of IE itself, so I installed that and it worked fine.
I'll probably never know (since I don't plan to waste time
pursuing it) exactly what the problem was with my copy
of IE6, but this is to advise any others who may experience
the same problem with displaying the Coptic on Bill's page.
Older HTML converters may not handle large code numbers