RE: [GTh] key to exercises in Lambdin/Coptic fonts

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 27, 2006
      Bill and Mike,

      The supralinear stroke is fine on my screen and also when I print it out,
      even if I save it into Word, so I also suspect it might be a problem at your
      end, Mike.

      I'm using a PC, and I've checked it using both Firefox and Internet
      Explorer. The supralinear stroke is a little longer than the N, F and S
      characters and CS Copto Manuscript is a proportional font, so it hangs over
      a little way onto the next letter or blank space on every character except
      the M, but I don't think that's the problem that Mike's describing?

      Talking about fonts, has anyone found a free Coptic Unicode font that is
      nice in Coptic, Greek and English? Preferably one that moves nicely between
      PCs and Macs? I am currently using New Athena Unicode for Coptic and Greek,
      but I find the uppercase characters and the numerals in the English (I guess
      I should say "Roman") font too ornate. The numerals make the footnotes look
      bizarre and my advisor/supervisor keeps on wanting me to put extra spaces
      between any upper case Js and the preceeding word because the curl at the
      bottom of the J makes it look as though I've omitted the space between the
      words. MPH 2B Damase has a nice English font, but the supralinear strokes
      in the Coptic start halfway across the characters they belong to and hang
      halfway over the next character and the Greek font is tiny. I would really
      like only to have to change keyboards and not fonts as well whenever I
      change between languages. And what is the current wisdom about SPAchmim,
      which I find fairly non-user-friendly, but which my advisor thinks is
      "industry standard" for publication?

      "One can easily understand a child who is afraid of the dark. The real
      tragedy of life is when grown men and women are afraid of the light." -
      Plato

      Rev Judy Redman
      Uniting Church Chaplain
      University of New England
      Armidale 2351
      ph: +61 2 6773 3739
      fax: +61 2 6773 3749
      email: jredman@...

    • William Arnal
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 28, 2006
        Hello all:

        Thanks to Dave and Judy for clarification about the font display problems.

        In addition, Rick Hubbard writes:

        >About the font display issue: Can you convert your copy to Adobe PDF? If
        >so,
        >that will eliminate the display problem for everyone and will not require
        >having the font in question.

        I don't have Adobe, and for some strange reason (I'm a Luddite?) I don't
        like it very much. The results are good, and it's rapidly becoming a
        universal standard, and yet . . . I dunno, whenever I come across a web
        reference to a pdf document, I just skip over it. HTML seems easier and
        quicker to view. Nonetheless, this is probably a good suggestion. I could
        easily get someone to convert it for me, and then maybe put up a link on the
        main page to the pdf version. Again, as I said to Mark G., I'll wait a bit
        before doing anything like this -- I want to make as many possible changes
        in as few possible steps.

        thanks,
        Bill
        ______________________
        William Arnal
        University of Regina

        Ready for the world's first international mobile film festival celebrating
        the creative potential of today's youth? Check out Mobile Jam Fest for your
        a chance to WIN $10,000! www.mobilejamfest.com
      • Paul Lanier
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 28, 2006
          Hi all,

          I use PDF Creator to create PDF files. It's free and it works great. The reviews for it are also very favorable.

          PDF Creator installs a virtual printer called PDF Creator. This is the standard method of making a PDF file. It doesn't actually print any hardcopy, it just creates the PDF file by "printing to file." Adobe does the same thing, you just don't see it.

          To use it, open your document (in Word or Excel or other application), click File, then click Print, then select PDF Creator in the drop-down Name box. PDF Creator will then ask you for metadata, such as document author, before it creates the PDF file.

          PDF Creator 0.9.3 is available as a free open source application at SourceForge:
          http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

          regards, Paul

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 28, 2006
            Paul,

            <<I use PDF Creator to create PDF files. It's free and it works great. The reviews for it are also very favorable.

            PDF Creator installs a virtual printer called PDF Creator. This is the standard method of making a PDF file. It doesn't actually
            print any hardcopy, it just creates the PDF file by "printing to file." Adobe does the same thing, you just don't see it.

            To use it, open your document (in Word or Excel or other application), click File, then click Print, then select PDF Creator in the
            drop-down Name box. PDF Creator will then ask you for metadata, such as document author, before it creates the PDF file.

            PDF Creator 0.9.3 is available as a free open source application at SourceForge:
            http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/>>

            When I looked at PDF files and fonts a while back, one problem I encountered was that not all PDF converters work with all fonts.
            The full-blown Adobe Acrobat Professional program can embed just about any font you throw at it, but costs something like $449. The
            other programs out there that can create PDF files often seemed to work only with the more common (True Type?) fonts. Also, they do
            not always create a true WYSIWYG end product, but maybe that is a problem with PDF files in general that I am not familiar with.

            Respectfully,

            Dave Hindley
            Cleveland, Ohio USA
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 29, 2006
              Bill et al -

              The problem I'm experiencing does seem to have to do
              with my video card (NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, to be precise).
              I've downloaded and switched drivers to no avail, but I did
              discover that the problem stems from the code for the right
              arrow symbol (→) in Bill's page. Oddly, any numeric
              code less than 1424 causes no problem, but any code higher
              than 1423 disrupts the overstrokes in the Coptic following it.
              I can't figure any logical reason for that particular break point,
              or why it should affect the <span> statement following it, but
              it does. It doesn't help either to use →, the alternative for
              the numeric code.

              I'll keep trying to fix this problem, but in the meantime if
              anyone has the above-mentioned video card or some guess
              as to what the problem might be, please contact me offlist.

              BTW, re you'alls 'supralinear' vs. Layton's 'superlinear': I
              looked it up and couldn't see a dit's worth of difference
              between 'super-' and 'supra-'. That's confusing, but since
              one pretty much has to add the word 'stroke' anyway to specify
              what it IS that's above the line (there's some super/supralinear
              corrective lettering in spots), I think I'll stick with 'over-stroke'
              (uberstroken, if you like.)

              Re: PDF converter
              I have one called 'PDF Xchange' that I've used on all the
              pdf documents on my site. It does have the problem noted,
              that things don't always come out the way they look on the
              original Word or Excel document.

              Cheers,
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 29, 2006
                Mike writes:

                > Re: PDF converter
                > I have one called 'PDF Xchange' that I've used on all the pdf
                > documents on my site. It does have the problem noted, that
                > things don't always come out the way they look on the
                > original Word or Excel document.

                I've been using Acrobat 5.0 (the current release is ver 8). Although it's
                not supposed to play happily with Word 2003, it was fine until recently. It
                suddenly decided that it wasn't going to work when I was trying to convert
                something really *important* into pdf. :-) At the suggestion of my resident
                geek, I installed OpenOffice (free, open source word processing), opened the
                files in it and exported them as pdf. I can't do my work directly in
                OpenOffice because it doesn't talk to Endnote, so I had to export the files
                as rtf to keep the footnoting and bibliography, but it rendered the Coptic
                faultlessly. More fiddly than the full version of Acrobat, but much, much
                cheaper.

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 30, 2006
                  This is to let you all know that I've finally solved the
                  problem mentioned in my earlier notes. The short
                  story is that I switched from IE6 to IE7. The long story
                  is this: yesterday, a friend of mine suggested that the
                  problem was more likely with the browser than with
                  the video driver. Taking his advice, I downloaded and
                  installed Firefox to see if that browser made a difference.
                  It did; it worked fine. At first I thought there might be a
                  difference in options between the two browsers, but I
                  couldn't find one that made Internet Explorer run right.
                  Then I noticed that IE used several add-ons to handle
                  HTML, and the thought occurred that these might be out
                  of date. Turning my attention to the MS website in search
                  of updated add-ons, I discovered that there was a newer
                  version of IE itself, so I installed that and it worked fine.

                  I'll probably never know (since I don't plan to waste time
                  pursuing it) exactly what the problem was with my copy
                  of IE6, but this is to advise any others who may experience
                  the same problem with displaying the Coptic on Bill's page.
                  Older HTML converters may not handle large code numbers
                  correctly.

                  Cheers,