Re: [GTh] key to exercises in Lambdin

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 27, 2006
      Hey Bill!

      Yes, good job!

      About the font display issue: Can you convert your copy to Adobe PDF? If so,
      that will eliminate the display problem for everyone and will not require
      having the font in question.

      Rick
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 27, 2006
        Bill,

        It may be related to a "feature" of the video adapter on the computer displaying the font. I used to have that problem with my old
        computer's adapter, and had to get an updated driver from the manufacturer to compensate. Adapters that use non-standard technology
        to gain a graphics performance edge for gaming and such react oddly to exotic fonts sometimes.

        Hopefully, the manufacturer is still in business. I had to scour the internet a good bit before I found a legacy site that had the
        driver I needed because the manufacturer sold out to a competitor, which then decided not to further support the particular
        technology my adaptor relied upon.

        Respectfully,

        Dave Hindley
        Cleveland, Ohio USA

        ______________________

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 27, 2006
          Bill and Mike,

          The supralinear stroke is fine on my screen and also when I print it out,
          even if I save it into Word, so I also suspect it might be a problem at your
          end, Mike.

          I'm using a PC, and I've checked it using both Firefox and Internet
          Explorer. The supralinear stroke is a little longer than the N, F and S
          characters and CS Copto Manuscript is a proportional font, so it hangs over
          a little way onto the next letter or blank space on every character except
          the M, but I don't think that's the problem that Mike's describing?

          Talking about fonts, has anyone found a free Coptic Unicode font that is
          nice in Coptic, Greek and English? Preferably one that moves nicely between
          PCs and Macs? I am currently using New Athena Unicode for Coptic and Greek,
          but I find the uppercase characters and the numerals in the English (I guess
          I should say "Roman") font too ornate. The numerals make the footnotes look
          bizarre and my advisor/supervisor keeps on wanting me to put extra spaces
          between any upper case Js and the preceeding word because the curl at the
          bottom of the J makes it look as though I've omitted the space between the
          words. MPH 2B Damase has a nice English font, but the supralinear strokes
          in the Coptic start halfway across the characters they belong to and hang
          halfway over the next character and the Greek font is tiny. I would really
          like only to have to change keyboards and not fonts as well whenever I
          change between languages. And what is the current wisdom about SPAchmim,
          which I find fairly non-user-friendly, but which my advisor thinks is
          "industry standard" for publication?

          "One can easily understand a child who is afraid of the dark. The real
          tragedy of life is when grown men and women are afraid of the light." -
          Plato

          Rev Judy Redman
          Uniting Church Chaplain
          University of New England
          Armidale 2351
          ph: +61 2 6773 3739
          fax: +61 2 6773 3749
          email: jredman@...

        • William Arnal
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 28, 2006
            Hello all:

            Thanks to Dave and Judy for clarification about the font display problems.

            In addition, Rick Hubbard writes:

            >About the font display issue: Can you convert your copy to Adobe PDF? If
            >so,
            >that will eliminate the display problem for everyone and will not require
            >having the font in question.

            I don't have Adobe, and for some strange reason (I'm a Luddite?) I don't
            like it very much. The results are good, and it's rapidly becoming a
            universal standard, and yet . . . I dunno, whenever I come across a web
            reference to a pdf document, I just skip over it. HTML seems easier and
            quicker to view. Nonetheless, this is probably a good suggestion. I could
            easily get someone to convert it for me, and then maybe put up a link on the
            main page to the pdf version. Again, as I said to Mark G., I'll wait a bit
            before doing anything like this -- I want to make as many possible changes
            in as few possible steps.

            thanks,
            Bill
            ______________________
            William Arnal
            University of Regina

            Ready for the world's first international mobile film festival celebrating
            the creative potential of today's youth? Check out Mobile Jam Fest for your
            a chance to WIN $10,000! www.mobilejamfest.com
          • Paul Lanier
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 28, 2006
              Hi all,

              I use PDF Creator to create PDF files. It's free and it works great. The reviews for it are also very favorable.

              PDF Creator installs a virtual printer called PDF Creator. This is the standard method of making a PDF file. It doesn't actually print any hardcopy, it just creates the PDF file by "printing to file." Adobe does the same thing, you just don't see it.

              To use it, open your document (in Word or Excel or other application), click File, then click Print, then select PDF Creator in the drop-down Name box. PDF Creator will then ask you for metadata, such as document author, before it creates the PDF file.

              PDF Creator 0.9.3 is available as a free open source application at SourceForge:
              http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

              regards, Paul

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 28, 2006
                Paul,

                <<I use PDF Creator to create PDF files. It's free and it works great. The reviews for it are also very favorable.

                PDF Creator installs a virtual printer called PDF Creator. This is the standard method of making a PDF file. It doesn't actually
                print any hardcopy, it just creates the PDF file by "printing to file." Adobe does the same thing, you just don't see it.

                To use it, open your document (in Word or Excel or other application), click File, then click Print, then select PDF Creator in the
                drop-down Name box. PDF Creator will then ask you for metadata, such as document author, before it creates the PDF file.

                PDF Creator 0.9.3 is available as a free open source application at SourceForge:
                http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/>>

                When I looked at PDF files and fonts a while back, one problem I encountered was that not all PDF converters work with all fonts.
                The full-blown Adobe Acrobat Professional program can embed just about any font you throw at it, but costs something like $449. The
                other programs out there that can create PDF files often seemed to work only with the more common (True Type?) fonts. Also, they do
                not always create a true WYSIWYG end product, but maybe that is a problem with PDF files in general that I am not familiar with.

                Respectfully,

                Dave Hindley
                Cleveland, Ohio USA
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 29, 2006
                  Bill et al -

                  The problem I'm experiencing does seem to have to do
                  with my video card (NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, to be precise).
                  I've downloaded and switched drivers to no avail, but I did
                  discover that the problem stems from the code for the right
                  arrow symbol (→) in Bill's page. Oddly, any numeric
                  code less than 1424 causes no problem, but any code higher
                  than 1423 disrupts the overstrokes in the Coptic following it.
                  I can't figure any logical reason for that particular break point,
                  or why it should affect the <span> statement following it, but
                  it does. It doesn't help either to use →, the alternative for
                  the numeric code.

                  I'll keep trying to fix this problem, but in the meantime if
                  anyone has the above-mentioned video card or some guess
                  as to what the problem might be, please contact me offlist.

                  BTW, re you'alls 'supralinear' vs. Layton's 'superlinear': I
                  looked it up and couldn't see a dit's worth of difference
                  between 'super-' and 'supra-'. That's confusing, but since
                  one pretty much has to add the word 'stroke' anyway to specify
                  what it IS that's above the line (there's some super/supralinear
                  corrective lettering in spots), I think I'll stick with 'over-stroke'
                  (uberstroken, if you like.)

                  Re: PDF converter
                  I have one called 'PDF Xchange' that I've used on all the
                  pdf documents on my site. It does have the problem noted,
                  that things don't always come out the way they look on the
                  original Word or Excel document.

                  Cheers,
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 29, 2006
                    Mike writes:

                    > Re: PDF converter
                    > I have one called 'PDF Xchange' that I've used on all the pdf
                    > documents on my site. It does have the problem noted, that
                    > things don't always come out the way they look on the
                    > original Word or Excel document.

                    I've been using Acrobat 5.0 (the current release is ver 8). Although it's
                    not supposed to play happily with Word 2003, it was fine until recently. It
                    suddenly decided that it wasn't going to work when I was trying to convert
                    something really *important* into pdf. :-) At the suggestion of my resident
                    geek, I installed OpenOffice (free, open source word processing), opened the
                    files in it and exported them as pdf. I can't do my work directly in
                    OpenOffice because it doesn't talk to Endnote, so I had to export the files
                    as rtf to keep the footnoting and bibliography, but it rendered the Coptic
                    faultlessly. More fiddly than the full version of Acrobat, but much, much
                    cheaper.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 30, 2006
                      This is to let you all know that I've finally solved the
                      problem mentioned in my earlier notes. The short
                      story is that I switched from IE6 to IE7. The long story
                      is this: yesterday, a friend of mine suggested that the
                      problem was more likely with the browser than with
                      the video driver. Taking his advice, I downloaded and
                      installed Firefox to see if that browser made a difference.
                      It did; it worked fine. At first I thought there might be a
                      difference in options between the two browsers, but I
                      couldn't find one that made Internet Explorer run right.
                      Then I noticed that IE used several add-ons to handle
                      HTML, and the thought occurred that these might be out
                      of date. Turning my attention to the MS website in search
                      of updated add-ons, I discovered that there was a newer
                      version of IE itself, so I installed that and it worked fine.

                      I'll probably never know (since I don't plan to waste time
                      pursuing it) exactly what the problem was with my copy
                      of IE6, but this is to advise any others who may experience
                      the same problem with displaying the Coptic on Bill's page.
                      Older HTML converters may not handle large code numbers
                      correctly.

                      Cheers,