Re: [GTh] key to exercises in Lambdin

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 26, 2006
      Hi Bill -

      I've added a link to your exercise key on my links page at
      http://www.geocities.com/mwgrondin/x_links.htm

      I did notice one odd little thing about the Coptic on a quick first
      run-thru: on my system, the overstroke doesn't appear over the letter that's
      supposed to be overstroked. Rather, it appears to the left of the letter,
      over a blank. Is it just my system or what? (I have CS Copto Manuscript,
      so the lettering looks OK other than the wandering overstroke.)

      Fine work, good layout, and much needed!

      Mike
    • William Arnal
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 27, 2006
        Hi all:

        Thanks for the feedback and links. Mike -- re. the Coptic font, I THINK the
        problem must be on your end. I've accessed the page both from my office
        computer and my computer at home and in both cases the supralinears look
        fine. If anyone else is having this problem, though, please let me know --
        there might be something I can do if it's a general issue.

        cheers,
        Bill
        ______________________
        William Arnal
        University of Regina

        Experience Live Search from your PC or mobile device today.
        http://www.live.com/?mkt=en-ca
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 27, 2006
          Hey Bill!

          Yes, good job!

          About the font display issue: Can you convert your copy to Adobe PDF? If so,
          that will eliminate the display problem for everyone and will not require
          having the font in question.

          Rick

        • dhindley@compuserve.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 27, 2006
            Bill,

            It may be related to a "feature" of the video adapter on the computer displaying the font. I used to have that problem with my old
            computer's adapter, and had to get an updated driver from the manufacturer to compensate. Adapters that use non-standard technology
            to gain a graphics performance edge for gaming and such react oddly to exotic fonts sometimes.

            Hopefully, the manufacturer is still in business. I had to scour the internet a good bit before I found a legacy site that had the
            driver I needed because the manufacturer sold out to a competitor, which then decided not to further support the particular
            technology my adaptor relied upon.

            Respectfully,

            Dave Hindley
            Cleveland, Ohio USA

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 27, 2006
              Bill and Mike,

              The supralinear stroke is fine on my screen and also when I print it out,
              even if I save it into Word, so I also suspect it might be a problem at your
              end, Mike.

              I'm using a PC, and I've checked it using both Firefox and Internet
              Explorer. The supralinear stroke is a little longer than the N, F and S
              characters and CS Copto Manuscript is a proportional font, so it hangs over
              a little way onto the next letter or blank space on every character except
              the M, but I don't think that's the problem that Mike's describing?

              Talking about fonts, has anyone found a free Coptic Unicode font that is
              nice in Coptic, Greek and English? Preferably one that moves nicely between
              PCs and Macs? I am currently using New Athena Unicode for Coptic and Greek,
              but I find the uppercase characters and the numerals in the English (I guess
              I should say "Roman") font too ornate. The numerals make the footnotes look
              bizarre and my advisor/supervisor keeps on wanting me to put extra spaces
              between any upper case Js and the preceeding word because the curl at the
              bottom of the J makes it look as though I've omitted the space between the
              words. MPH 2B Damase has a nice English font, but the supralinear strokes
              in the Coptic start halfway across the characters they belong to and hang
              halfway over the next character and the Greek font is tiny. I would really
              like only to have to change keyboards and not fonts as well whenever I
              change between languages. And what is the current wisdom about SPAchmim,
              which I find fairly non-user-friendly, but which my advisor thinks is
              "industry standard" for publication?

              "One can easily understand a child who is afraid of the dark. The real
              tragedy of life is when grown men and women are afraid of the light." -
              Plato

              Rev Judy Redman
              Uniting Church Chaplain
              University of New England
              Armidale 2351
              ph: +61 2 6773 3739
              fax: +61 2 6773 3749
              email: jredman@...

            • William Arnal
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 28, 2006
                Hello all:

                Thanks to Dave and Judy for clarification about the font display problems.

                In addition, Rick Hubbard writes:

                >About the font display issue: Can you convert your copy to Adobe PDF? If
                >so,
                >that will eliminate the display problem for everyone and will not require
                >having the font in question.

                I don't have Adobe, and for some strange reason (I'm a Luddite?) I don't
                like it very much. The results are good, and it's rapidly becoming a
                universal standard, and yet . . . I dunno, whenever I come across a web
                reference to a pdf document, I just skip over it. HTML seems easier and
                quicker to view. Nonetheless, this is probably a good suggestion. I could
                easily get someone to convert it for me, and then maybe put up a link on the
                main page to the pdf version. Again, as I said to Mark G., I'll wait a bit
                before doing anything like this -- I want to make as many possible changes
                in as few possible steps.

                thanks,
                Bill
                ______________________
                William Arnal
                University of Regina

                Ready for the world's first international mobile film festival celebrating
                the creative potential of today's youth? Check out Mobile Jam Fest for your
                a chance to WIN $10,000! www.mobilejamfest.com
              • Paul Lanier
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 28, 2006
                  Hi all,

                  I use PDF Creator to create PDF files. It's free and it works great. The reviews for it are also very favorable.

                  PDF Creator installs a virtual printer called PDF Creator. This is the standard method of making a PDF file. It doesn't actually print any hardcopy, it just creates the PDF file by "printing to file." Adobe does the same thing, you just don't see it.

                  To use it, open your document (in Word or Excel or other application), click File, then click Print, then select PDF Creator in the drop-down Name box. PDF Creator will then ask you for metadata, such as document author, before it creates the PDF file.

                  PDF Creator 0.9.3 is available as a free open source application at SourceForge:
                  http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

                  regards, Paul

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 28, 2006
                    Paul,

                    <<I use PDF Creator to create PDF files. It's free and it works great. The reviews for it are also very favorable.

                    PDF Creator installs a virtual printer called PDF Creator. This is the standard method of making a PDF file. It doesn't actually
                    print any hardcopy, it just creates the PDF file by "printing to file." Adobe does the same thing, you just don't see it.

                    To use it, open your document (in Word or Excel or other application), click File, then click Print, then select PDF Creator in the
                    drop-down Name box. PDF Creator will then ask you for metadata, such as document author, before it creates the PDF file.

                    PDF Creator 0.9.3 is available as a free open source application at SourceForge:
                    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/>>

                    When I looked at PDF files and fonts a while back, one problem I encountered was that not all PDF converters work with all fonts.
                    The full-blown Adobe Acrobat Professional program can embed just about any font you throw at it, but costs something like $449. The
                    other programs out there that can create PDF files often seemed to work only with the more common (True Type?) fonts. Also, they do
                    not always create a true WYSIWYG end product, but maybe that is a problem with PDF files in general that I am not familiar with.

                    Respectfully,

                    Dave Hindley
                    Cleveland, Ohio USA
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 29, 2006
                      Bill et al -

                      The problem I'm experiencing does seem to have to do
                      with my video card (NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, to be precise).
                      I've downloaded and switched drivers to no avail, but I did
                      discover that the problem stems from the code for the right
                      arrow symbol (→) in Bill's page. Oddly, any numeric
                      code less than 1424 causes no problem, but any code higher
                      than 1423 disrupts the overstrokes in the Coptic following it.
                      I can't figure any logical reason for that particular break point,
                      or why it should affect the <span> statement following it, but
                      it does. It doesn't help either to use →, the alternative for
                      the numeric code.

                      I'll keep trying to fix this problem, but in the meantime if
                      anyone has the above-mentioned video card or some guess
                      as to what the problem might be, please contact me offlist.

                      BTW, re you'alls 'supralinear' vs. Layton's 'superlinear': I
                      looked it up and couldn't see a dit's worth of difference
                      between 'super-' and 'supra-'. That's confusing, but since
                      one pretty much has to add the word 'stroke' anyway to specify
                      what it IS that's above the line (there's some super/supralinear
                      corrective lettering in spots), I think I'll stick with 'over-stroke'
                      (uberstroken, if you like.)

                      Re: PDF converter
                      I have one called 'PDF Xchange' that I've used on all the
                      pdf documents on my site. It does have the problem noted,
                      that things don't always come out the way they look on the
                      original Word or Excel document.

                      Cheers,
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 29, 2006
                        Mike writes:

                        > Re: PDF converter
                        > I have one called 'PDF Xchange' that I've used on all the pdf
                        > documents on my site. It does have the problem noted, that
                        > things don't always come out the way they look on the
                        > original Word or Excel document.

                        I've been using Acrobat 5.0 (the current release is ver 8). Although it's
                        not supposed to play happily with Word 2003, it was fine until recently. It
                        suddenly decided that it wasn't going to work when I was trying to convert
                        something really *important* into pdf. :-) At the suggestion of my resident
                        geek, I installed OpenOffice (free, open source word processing), opened the
                        files in it and exported them as pdf. I can't do my work directly in
                        OpenOffice because it doesn't talk to Endnote, so I had to export the files
                        as rtf to keep the footnoting and bibliography, but it rendered the Coptic
                        faultlessly. More fiddly than the full version of Acrobat, but much, much
                        cheaper.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 30, 2006
                          This is to let you all know that I've finally solved the
                          problem mentioned in my earlier notes. The short
                          story is that I switched from IE6 to IE7. The long story
                          is this: yesterday, a friend of mine suggested that the
                          problem was more likely with the browser than with
                          the video driver. Taking his advice, I downloaded and
                          installed Firefox to see if that browser made a difference.
                          It did; it worked fine. At first I thought there might be a
                          difference in options between the two browsers, but I
                          couldn't find one that made Internet Explorer run right.
                          Then I noticed that IE used several add-ons to handle
                          HTML, and the thought occurred that these might be out
                          of date. Turning my attention to the MS website in search
                          of updated add-ons, I discovered that there was a newer
                          version of IE itself, so I installed that and it worked fine.

                          I'll probably never know (since I don't plan to waste time
                          pursuing it) exactly what the problem was with my copy
                          of IE6, but this is to advise any others who may experience
                          the same problem with displaying the Coptic on Bill's page.
                          Older HTML converters may not handle large code numbers
                          correctly.

                          Cheers,