Re: [GTh] key to exercises in Lambdin

  • William Arnal
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 26, 2006
      Hi Mark:

      >Wow -- really helpful. Thanks. Great timing for me too because I'm going
      >be doing a little Coptic introduction with some graduate students next
      >semester.

      Awesome! Hope it helps.

      >One suggestion: you use the font CS Copto Manuscript which I did not have.
      >Might it be worth flagging this up and adding a link to where to download?
      >I found it at: http://www.copticchurch.net/coptic_fonts/ .

      A very good suggestion. I'll incorporate it, but not right away. The guy who
      put this up for me is busy, so I'll wait until I hear about any other
      recommended changes or corrections, and then put them up all at once. But I
      will (eventually) follow this suggestion.

      thanks,
      Bill
      ______________________
      William Arnal
      University of Regina

      Buy, Load, Play. The new Sympatico / MSN Music Store works seamlessly with
      Windows Media Player. Just Click PLAY.
      http://musicstore.sympatico.msn.ca/content/viewer.aspx?cid=SMS_Sept192006
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 26, 2006
        Hi Bill -

        I've added a link to your exercise key on my links page at
        http://www.geocities.com/mwgrondin/x_links.htm

        I did notice one odd little thing about the Coptic on a quick first
        run-thru: on my system, the overstroke doesn't appear over the letter that's
        supposed to be overstroked. Rather, it appears to the left of the letter,
        over a blank. Is it just my system or what? (I have CS Copto Manuscript,
        so the lettering looks OK other than the wandering overstroke.)

        Fine work, good layout, and much needed!

        Mike
      • William Arnal
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 27, 2006
          Hi all:

          Thanks for the feedback and links. Mike -- re. the Coptic font, I THINK the
          problem must be on your end. I've accessed the page both from my office
          computer and my computer at home and in both cases the supralinears look
          fine. If anyone else is having this problem, though, please let me know --
          there might be something I can do if it's a general issue.

          cheers,
          Bill
          ______________________
          William Arnal
          University of Regina

          Experience Live Search from your PC or mobile device today.
          http://www.live.com/?mkt=en-ca
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 27, 2006
            Hey Bill!

            Yes, good job!

            About the font display issue: Can you convert your copy to Adobe PDF? If so,
            that will eliminate the display problem for everyone and will not require
            having the font in question.

            Rick

          • dhindley@compuserve.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 27, 2006
              Bill,

              It may be related to a "feature" of the video adapter on the computer displaying the font. I used to have that problem with my old
              computer's adapter, and had to get an updated driver from the manufacturer to compensate. Adapters that use non-standard technology
              to gain a graphics performance edge for gaming and such react oddly to exotic fonts sometimes.

              Hopefully, the manufacturer is still in business. I had to scour the internet a good bit before I found a legacy site that had the
              driver I needed because the manufacturer sold out to a competitor, which then decided not to further support the particular
              technology my adaptor relied upon.

              Respectfully,

              Dave Hindley
              Cleveland, Ohio USA

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 27, 2006
                Bill and Mike,

                The supralinear stroke is fine on my screen and also when I print it out,
                even if I save it into Word, so I also suspect it might be a problem at your
                end, Mike.

                I'm using a PC, and I've checked it using both Firefox and Internet
                Explorer. The supralinear stroke is a little longer than the N, F and S
                characters and CS Copto Manuscript is a proportional font, so it hangs over
                a little way onto the next letter or blank space on every character except
                the M, but I don't think that's the problem that Mike's describing?

                Talking about fonts, has anyone found a free Coptic Unicode font that is
                nice in Coptic, Greek and English? Preferably one that moves nicely between
                PCs and Macs? I am currently using New Athena Unicode for Coptic and Greek,
                but I find the uppercase characters and the numerals in the English (I guess
                I should say "Roman") font too ornate. The numerals make the footnotes look
                bizarre and my advisor/supervisor keeps on wanting me to put extra spaces
                between any upper case Js and the preceeding word because the curl at the
                bottom of the J makes it look as though I've omitted the space between the
                words. MPH 2B Damase has a nice English font, but the supralinear strokes
                in the Coptic start halfway across the characters they belong to and hang
                halfway over the next character and the Greek font is tiny. I would really
                like only to have to change keyboards and not fonts as well whenever I
                change between languages. And what is the current wisdom about SPAchmim,
                which I find fairly non-user-friendly, but which my advisor thinks is
                "industry standard" for publication?

                "One can easily understand a child who is afraid of the dark. The real
                tragedy of life is when grown men and women are afraid of the light." -
                Plato

                Rev Judy Redman
                Uniting Church Chaplain
                University of New England
                Armidale 2351
                ph: +61 2 6773 3739
                fax: +61 2 6773 3749
                email: jredman@...

              • William Arnal
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 28, 2006
                  Hello all:

                  Thanks to Dave and Judy for clarification about the font display problems.

                  In addition, Rick Hubbard writes:

                  >About the font display issue: Can you convert your copy to Adobe PDF? If
                  >so,
                  >that will eliminate the display problem for everyone and will not require
                  >having the font in question.

                  I don't have Adobe, and for some strange reason (I'm a Luddite?) I don't
                  like it very much. The results are good, and it's rapidly becoming a
                  universal standard, and yet . . . I dunno, whenever I come across a web
                  reference to a pdf document, I just skip over it. HTML seems easier and
                  quicker to view. Nonetheless, this is probably a good suggestion. I could
                  easily get someone to convert it for me, and then maybe put up a link on the
                  main page to the pdf version. Again, as I said to Mark G., I'll wait a bit
                  before doing anything like this -- I want to make as many possible changes
                  in as few possible steps.

                  thanks,
                  Bill
                  ______________________
                  William Arnal
                  University of Regina

                  Ready for the world's first international mobile film festival celebrating
                  the creative potential of today's youth? Check out Mobile Jam Fest for your
                  a chance to WIN $10,000! www.mobilejamfest.com
                • Paul Lanier
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 28, 2006
                    Hi all,

                    I use PDF Creator to create PDF files. It's free and it works great. The reviews for it are also very favorable.

                    PDF Creator installs a virtual printer called PDF Creator. This is the standard method of making a PDF file. It doesn't actually print any hardcopy, it just creates the PDF file by "printing to file." Adobe does the same thing, you just don't see it.

                    To use it, open your document (in Word or Excel or other application), click File, then click Print, then select PDF Creator in the drop-down Name box. PDF Creator will then ask you for metadata, such as document author, before it creates the PDF file.

                    PDF Creator 0.9.3 is available as a free open source application at SourceForge:
                    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

                    regards, Paul

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 28, 2006
                      Paul,

                      <<I use PDF Creator to create PDF files. It's free and it works great. The reviews for it are also very favorable.

                      PDF Creator installs a virtual printer called PDF Creator. This is the standard method of making a PDF file. It doesn't actually
                      print any hardcopy, it just creates the PDF file by "printing to file." Adobe does the same thing, you just don't see it.

                      To use it, open your document (in Word or Excel or other application), click File, then click Print, then select PDF Creator in the
                      drop-down Name box. PDF Creator will then ask you for metadata, such as document author, before it creates the PDF file.

                      PDF Creator 0.9.3 is available as a free open source application at SourceForge:
                      http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/>>

                      When I looked at PDF files and fonts a while back, one problem I encountered was that not all PDF converters work with all fonts.
                      The full-blown Adobe Acrobat Professional program can embed just about any font you throw at it, but costs something like $449. The
                      other programs out there that can create PDF files often seemed to work only with the more common (True Type?) fonts. Also, they do
                      not always create a true WYSIWYG end product, but maybe that is a problem with PDF files in general that I am not familiar with.

                      Respectfully,

                      Dave Hindley
                      Cleveland, Ohio USA
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 29, 2006
                        Bill et al -

                        The problem I'm experiencing does seem to have to do
                        with my video card (NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, to be precise).
                        I've downloaded and switched drivers to no avail, but I did
                        discover that the problem stems from the code for the right
                        arrow symbol (→) in Bill's page. Oddly, any numeric
                        code less than 1424 causes no problem, but any code higher
                        than 1423 disrupts the overstrokes in the Coptic following it.
                        I can't figure any logical reason for that particular break point,
                        or why it should affect the <span> statement following it, but
                        it does. It doesn't help either to use →, the alternative for
                        the numeric code.

                        I'll keep trying to fix this problem, but in the meantime if
                        anyone has the above-mentioned video card or some guess
                        as to what the problem might be, please contact me offlist.

                        BTW, re you'alls 'supralinear' vs. Layton's 'superlinear': I
                        looked it up and couldn't see a dit's worth of difference
                        between 'super-' and 'supra-'. That's confusing, but since
                        one pretty much has to add the word 'stroke' anyway to specify
                        what it IS that's above the line (there's some super/supralinear
                        corrective lettering in spots), I think I'll stick with 'over-stroke'
                        (uberstroken, if you like.)

                        Re: PDF converter
                        I have one called 'PDF Xchange' that I've used on all the
                        pdf documents on my site. It does have the problem noted,
                        that things don't always come out the way they look on the
                        original Word or Excel document.

                        Cheers,
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 29, 2006
                          Mike writes:

                          > Re: PDF converter
                          > I have one called 'PDF Xchange' that I've used on all the pdf
                          > documents on my site. It does have the problem noted, that
                          > things don't always come out the way they look on the
                          > original Word or Excel document.

                          I've been using Acrobat 5.0 (the current release is ver 8). Although it's
                          not supposed to play happily with Word 2003, it was fine until recently. It
                          suddenly decided that it wasn't going to work when I was trying to convert
                          something really *important* into pdf. :-) At the suggestion of my resident
                          geek, I installed OpenOffice (free, open source word processing), opened the
                          files in it and exported them as pdf. I can't do my work directly in
                          OpenOffice because it doesn't talk to Endnote, so I had to export the files
                          as rtf to keep the footnoting and bibliography, but it rendered the Coptic
                          faultlessly. More fiddly than the full version of Acrobat, but much, much
                          cheaper.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 30, 2006
                            This is to let you all know that I've finally solved the
                            problem mentioned in my earlier notes. The short
                            story is that I switched from IE6 to IE7. The long story
                            is this: yesterday, a friend of mine suggested that the
                            problem was more likely with the browser than with
                            the video driver. Taking his advice, I downloaded and
                            installed Firefox to see if that browser made a difference.
                            It did; it worked fine. At first I thought there might be a
                            difference in options between the two browsers, but I
                            couldn't find one that made Internet Explorer run right.
                            Then I noticed that IE used several add-ons to handle
                            HTML, and the thought occurred that these might be out
                            of date. Turning my attention to the MS website in search
                            of updated add-ons, I discovered that there was a newer
                            version of IE itself, so I installed that and it worked fine.

                            I'll probably never know (since I don't plan to waste time
                            pursuing it) exactly what the problem was with my copy
                            of IE6, but this is to advise any others who may experience
                            the same problem with displaying the Coptic on Bill's page.
                            Older HTML converters may not handle large code numbers
                            correctly.

                            Cheers,