key to exercises in Lambdin

  • William Arnal
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 26, 2006
      Hi folks:

      FYI, I've just put up on the web, at
      http://www.uregina.ca/arts/religious-studies/faculty/lambdin/Lambdin.key.htm
      a key to the exercises in Lambdin's Intro to Sahidic Coptic, with the
      permission of Mercer UP. Please do check it out, and link to it if you have
      a Coptic-related or otherwise relevant web page (Mike! Mark!), feel free to
      use it, and especially PLEASE let me know if you find any errors. I've gone
      over it for typos and the like, but there are ALWAYS some that slip through.

      cheers,
      Bill
      ______________________
      William Arnal
      University of Regina

      Buy, Load, Play. The new Sympatico / MSN Music Store works seamlessly with
      Windows Media Player. Just Click PLAY.
      http://musicstore.sympatico.msn.ca/content/viewer.aspx?cid=SMS_Sept192006
    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 26, 2006
        Bill,

        Wow -- really helpful. Thanks. Great timing for me too because I'm going to
        be doing a little Coptic introduction with some graduate students next
        semester.

        One suggestion: you use the font CS Copto Manuscript which I did not have.
        Might it be worth flagging this up and adding a link to where to download?
        I found it at: http://www.copticchurch.net/coptic_fonts/ .

        Mark

        --
        Mark Goodacre Goodacre@...
        Associate Professor

        http://NTGateway.com/goodacre

      • William Arnal
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 26, 2006
          Hi Mark:

          >Wow -- really helpful. Thanks. Great timing for me too because I'm going
          >be doing a little Coptic introduction with some graduate students next
          >semester.

          Awesome! Hope it helps.

          >One suggestion: you use the font CS Copto Manuscript which I did not have.
          >Might it be worth flagging this up and adding a link to where to download?
          >I found it at: http://www.copticchurch.net/coptic_fonts/ .

          A very good suggestion. I'll incorporate it, but not right away. The guy who
          put this up for me is busy, so I'll wait until I hear about any other
          recommended changes or corrections, and then put them up all at once. But I
          will (eventually) follow this suggestion.

          thanks,
          Bill
          ______________________

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 26, 2006
            Hi Bill -

            I've added a link to your exercise key on my links page at
            http://www.geocities.com/mwgrondin/x_links.htm

            I did notice one odd little thing about the Coptic on a quick first
            run-thru: on my system, the overstroke doesn't appear over the letter that's
            supposed to be overstroked. Rather, it appears to the left of the letter,
            over a blank. Is it just my system or what? (I have CS Copto Manuscript,
            so the lettering looks OK other than the wandering overstroke.)

            Fine work, good layout, and much needed!

            Mike
          • William Arnal
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 27, 2006
              Hi all:

              Thanks for the feedback and links. Mike -- re. the Coptic font, I THINK the
              problem must be on your end. I've accessed the page both from my office
              computer and my computer at home and in both cases the supralinears look
              fine. If anyone else is having this problem, though, please let me know --
              there might be something I can do if it's a general issue.

              cheers,
              Bill
              ______________________
              William Arnal
              University of Regina

              Experience Live Search from your PC or mobile device today.
              http://www.live.com/?mkt=en-ca
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 27, 2006
                Hey Bill!

                Yes, good job!

                About the font display issue: Can you convert your copy to Adobe PDF? If so,
                that will eliminate the display problem for everyone and will not require
                having the font in question.

                Rick

              • dhindley@compuserve.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 27, 2006
                  Bill,

                  It may be related to a "feature" of the video adapter on the computer displaying the font. I used to have that problem with my old
                  computer's adapter, and had to get an updated driver from the manufacturer to compensate. Adapters that use non-standard technology
                  to gain a graphics performance edge for gaming and such react oddly to exotic fonts sometimes.

                  Hopefully, the manufacturer is still in business. I had to scour the internet a good bit before I found a legacy site that had the
                  driver I needed because the manufacturer sold out to a competitor, which then decided not to further support the particular
                  technology my adaptor relied upon.

                  Respectfully,

                  Dave Hindley
                  Cleveland, Ohio USA

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 27, 2006
                    Bill and Mike,

                    The supralinear stroke is fine on my screen and also when I print it out,
                    even if I save it into Word, so I also suspect it might be a problem at your
                    end, Mike.

                    I'm using a PC, and I've checked it using both Firefox and Internet
                    Explorer. The supralinear stroke is a little longer than the N, F and S
                    characters and CS Copto Manuscript is a proportional font, so it hangs over
                    a little way onto the next letter or blank space on every character except
                    the M, but I don't think that's the problem that Mike's describing?

                    Talking about fonts, has anyone found a free Coptic Unicode font that is
                    nice in Coptic, Greek and English? Preferably one that moves nicely between
                    PCs and Macs? I am currently using New Athena Unicode for Coptic and Greek,
                    but I find the uppercase characters and the numerals in the English (I guess
                    I should say "Roman") font too ornate. The numerals make the footnotes look
                    bizarre and my advisor/supervisor keeps on wanting me to put extra spaces
                    between any upper case Js and the preceeding word because the curl at the
                    bottom of the J makes it look as though I've omitted the space between the
                    words. MPH 2B Damase has a nice English font, but the supralinear strokes
                    in the Coptic start halfway across the characters they belong to and hang
                    halfway over the next character and the Greek font is tiny. I would really
                    like only to have to change keyboards and not fonts as well whenever I
                    change between languages. And what is the current wisdom about SPAchmim,
                    which I find fairly non-user-friendly, but which my advisor thinks is
                    "industry standard" for publication?

                    "One can easily understand a child who is afraid of the dark. The real
                    tragedy of life is when grown men and women are afraid of the light." -
                    Plato

                    Rev Judy Redman
                    Uniting Church Chaplain
                    University of New England
                    Armidale 2351
                    ph: +61 2 6773 3739
                    fax: +61 2 6773 3749
                    email: jredman@...

                  • William Arnal
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 28, 2006
                      Hello all:

                      Thanks to Dave and Judy for clarification about the font display problems.

                      In addition, Rick Hubbard writes:

                      >About the font display issue: Can you convert your copy to Adobe PDF? If
                      >so,
                      >that will eliminate the display problem for everyone and will not require
                      >having the font in question.

                      I don't have Adobe, and for some strange reason (I'm a Luddite?) I don't
                      like it very much. The results are good, and it's rapidly becoming a
                      universal standard, and yet . . . I dunno, whenever I come across a web
                      reference to a pdf document, I just skip over it. HTML seems easier and
                      quicker to view. Nonetheless, this is probably a good suggestion. I could
                      easily get someone to convert it for me, and then maybe put up a link on the
                      main page to the pdf version. Again, as I said to Mark G., I'll wait a bit
                      before doing anything like this -- I want to make as many possible changes
                      in as few possible steps.

                      thanks,
                      Bill
                      ______________________
                      William Arnal
                      University of Regina

                      Ready for the world's first international mobile film festival celebrating
                      the creative potential of today's youth? Check out Mobile Jam Fest for your
                      a chance to WIN $10,000! www.mobilejamfest.com
                    • Paul Lanier
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 28, 2006
                        Hi all,

                        I use PDF Creator to create PDF files. It's free and it works great. The reviews for it are also very favorable.

                        PDF Creator installs a virtual printer called PDF Creator. This is the standard method of making a PDF file. It doesn't actually print any hardcopy, it just creates the PDF file by "printing to file." Adobe does the same thing, you just don't see it.

                        To use it, open your document (in Word or Excel or other application), click File, then click Print, then select PDF Creator in the drop-down Name box. PDF Creator will then ask you for metadata, such as document author, before it creates the PDF file.

                        PDF Creator 0.9.3 is available as a free open source application at SourceForge:
                        http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

                        regards, Paul

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 28, 2006
                          Paul,

                          <<I use PDF Creator to create PDF files. It's free and it works great. The reviews for it are also very favorable.

                          PDF Creator installs a virtual printer called PDF Creator. This is the standard method of making a PDF file. It doesn't actually
                          print any hardcopy, it just creates the PDF file by "printing to file." Adobe does the same thing, you just don't see it.

                          To use it, open your document (in Word or Excel or other application), click File, then click Print, then select PDF Creator in the
                          drop-down Name box. PDF Creator will then ask you for metadata, such as document author, before it creates the PDF file.

                          PDF Creator 0.9.3 is available as a free open source application at SourceForge:
                          http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/>>

                          When I looked at PDF files and fonts a while back, one problem I encountered was that not all PDF converters work with all fonts.
                          The full-blown Adobe Acrobat Professional program can embed just about any font you throw at it, but costs something like $449. The
                          other programs out there that can create PDF files often seemed to work only with the more common (True Type?) fonts. Also, they do
                          not always create a true WYSIWYG end product, but maybe that is a problem with PDF files in general that I am not familiar with.

                          Respectfully,

                          Dave Hindley
                          Cleveland, Ohio USA
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 29, 2006
                            Bill et al -

                            The problem I'm experiencing does seem to have to do
                            with my video card (NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, to be precise).
                            I've downloaded and switched drivers to no avail, but I did
                            discover that the problem stems from the code for the right
                            arrow symbol (→) in Bill's page. Oddly, any numeric
                            code less than 1424 causes no problem, but any code higher
                            than 1423 disrupts the overstrokes in the Coptic following it.
                            I can't figure any logical reason for that particular break point,
                            or why it should affect the <span> statement following it, but
                            it does. It doesn't help either to use →, the alternative for
                            the numeric code.

                            I'll keep trying to fix this problem, but in the meantime if
                            anyone has the above-mentioned video card or some guess
                            as to what the problem might be, please contact me offlist.

                            BTW, re you'alls 'supralinear' vs. Layton's 'superlinear': I
                            looked it up and couldn't see a dit's worth of difference
                            between 'super-' and 'supra-'. That's confusing, but since
                            one pretty much has to add the word 'stroke' anyway to specify
                            what it IS that's above the line (there's some super/supralinear
                            corrective lettering in spots), I think I'll stick with 'over-stroke'
                            (uberstroken, if you like.)

                            Re: PDF converter
                            I have one called 'PDF Xchange' that I've used on all the
                            pdf documents on my site. It does have the problem noted,
                            that things don't always come out the way they look on the
                            original Word or Excel document.

                            Cheers,
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 29, 2006
                              Mike writes:

                              > Re: PDF converter
                              > I have one called 'PDF Xchange' that I've used on all the pdf
                              > documents on my site. It does have the problem noted, that
                              > things don't always come out the way they look on the
                              > original Word or Excel document.

                              I've been using Acrobat 5.0 (the current release is ver 8). Although it's
                              not supposed to play happily with Word 2003, it was fine until recently. It
                              suddenly decided that it wasn't going to work when I was trying to convert
                              something really *important* into pdf. :-) At the suggestion of my resident
                              geek, I installed OpenOffice (free, open source word processing), opened the
                              files in it and exported them as pdf. I can't do my work directly in
                              OpenOffice because it doesn't talk to Endnote, so I had to export the files
                              as rtf to keep the footnoting and bibliography, but it rendered the Coptic
                              faultlessly. More fiddly than the full version of Acrobat, but much, much
                              cheaper.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 30, 2006
                                This is to let you all know that I've finally solved the
                                problem mentioned in my earlier notes. The short
                                story is that I switched from IE6 to IE7. The long story
                                is this: yesterday, a friend of mine suggested that the
                                problem was more likely with the browser than with
                                the video driver. Taking his advice, I downloaded and
                                installed Firefox to see if that browser made a difference.
                                It did; it worked fine. At first I thought there might be a
                                difference in options between the two browsers, but I
                                couldn't find one that made Internet Explorer run right.
                                Then I noticed that IE used several add-ons to handle
                                HTML, and the thought occurred that these might be out
                                of date. Turning my attention to the MS website in search
                                of updated add-ons, I discovered that there was a newer
                                version of IE itself, so I installed that and it worked fine.

                                I'll probably never know (since I don't plan to waste time
                                pursuing it) exactly what the problem was with my copy
                                of IE6, but this is to advise any others who may experience
                                the same problem with displaying the Coptic on Bill's page.
                                Older HTML converters may not handle large code numbers
                                correctly.

                                Cheers,