RE: [GTh] Recovering Thomas

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2006
      Wade writes:

      > By the way, the paperback should be out of this by now too.
      > She has had her author copies for a couple of months now.

      I've had a paperback copy for a couple of weeks now. I ordered it first in
      mid July from Continuum (the publishing company of which T&T Clark appears
      to be a subsidiary) and a week or ten days later received a snail-mail
      letter telling me that it wasn't yet available and I should order again
      later, despite the fact that their website said it was. I emailed them and
      was told that it was, indeed, available, so I tried again in late July and
      it arrived mid-August.

      > The companion volume to Recovering has just arrived at the
      > publisher's so it should be out fairly soon too.

      The Continuum website says the publication date is 31 August, but I plan to
      wait a week or two before ordering, given my previous experience. They say
      the price is 85 pounds sterling.

      "One can easily understand a child who is afraid of the dark. The real
      tragedy of life is when grown men and women are afraid of the light." -
      Plato

      Rev Judy Redman
      Uniting Church Chaplain
      University of New England
      Armidale 2351
      ph: +61 2 6773 3739
      fax: +61 2 6773 3749
      email: jredman@...
    • Adaire
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
        --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "sarban" <sarban@...> wrote:

        > "I find the proposed history of development of Thomas broadly
        > convincing but remain convinced that the earliest ascertainable
        form of
        > Thomas, the 'Thomas Kernel' is dependent on the synoptics."
        >
        > Andrew Criddle

        .
        .
        .
        Bart D. Ehrman makes the point in his "The Orthodox Corruption of
        Scripture" and even more succinctly in his "Misquoting Jesus" that
        the monasteries of Egypt were extremely careful in preserving
        manuscripts unaltered and intact. I think that "Thomas" coming from
        the Pachomian monasteries is probably far superior as to the original
        words of Jesus than the synoptics.

        The politics and war at the end of the first century and the
        beginning of the second were probably the cause of the reinvention of
        Jesus' words and teachings.

        Adaire Cain
      • Mike Buckner
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 23, 2006
          George Lamsa describes "for whose sake heaven and
          earth came into being" as an Aramaic idiom denoting respect.

          Michael Buckner, M. Div., Ph. D.
          <theoriginalteachingsofjesus.com>