Re: [GTh] Recovering Thomas

  • Wade Greiner
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2006
      > [Andrew Criddle wrote]:
      >
      > What DeConick thinks important is that none of the parallels with
      the Pseudo-Clementines (and only saying 113 among the parallels to the
      Diatessaron) are parallels to non-Kernel texts. She argues (rightly or
      wrongly) that his supports early knowledge of a version of Thomas
      which contained the kernel but not later sayings.

      Hi Andrew,

      The argument you refer to is found on pages 242-243 of Recovering
      (hardback copy). She does think it is significant that the sayings in
      the Pseudo-Clementines show familiarity with only kernal sayings, but
      equally important to her argument is that the Pseudo-Clementines show
      knowledge of clusters of sayings in Thomas that are not found in the
      synoptics. She also thinks that if you just look at the kernal a
      natural hermeneutic is apparent and that the Pseudo-Clementines also
      show familiarity with that hermeneutic, unlike the synoptics. That
      combined with the fact that other syrian authors do show familiarity
      with the non-kernal material lead her to think that the author of the
      Pseudo-Clementines might have had knowledge of a source very much like
      her reconstructed kernal. (All from pp. 242-243.)

      By the way, the paperback should be out of this by now too. She has
      had her author copies for a couple of months now. (As a fun aside,
      the paperback edition has an illustration on the cover by April
      DeConick herself. It is a drawing of Thomas she did.)

      The companion volume to Recovering has just arrived at the publisher's
      so it should be out fairly soon too. "The Original Gospel of Thomas
      in Translation" is a saying by saying commentary that was originally
      supposed to be a part of Recovering. The page count got too large,
      however, and they asked that she separate the two into different volumes.

      She also co-edited a volume published by Brill "Thomasine Traditions
      in Antiquity" with Jon Ma. Asgeirsson and Risto Uro. Along with
      contributions from the three of them (and others) there is an article
      by Marvin Meyer on saying 42 which I point out because (if I remember
      correctly) it is a saying that there has been a fair amount of
      discussion of on this list.

      Finally, DeConick has left her position at Illinois Wesleyan
      University to take a post at Rice University in Houston. She is the
      Ilsa Carroll and Percy E. Turner Professor of Biblical Studies at Rice
      starting this fall. I know she is interested in teaching graduate
      students and may do a Gospel of Thomas seminar at Rice next year.
      (This year she is doing a graduate seminar on the Gnostic Gospels.)
      She will also be offering a class on Coptic every now and then, I
      believe. She will also be giving a couple of lay-level Gospel of
      Thomas talks at the Biblical Archeological Society's "Lost
      Christianities" program in Austin this month.

      Wade
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2006
        Wade writes:

        > By the way, the paperback should be out of this by now too.
        > She has had her author copies for a couple of months now.

        I've had a paperback copy for a couple of weeks now. I ordered it first in
        mid July from Continuum (the publishing company of which T&T Clark appears
        to be a subsidiary) and a week or ten days later received a snail-mail
        letter telling me that it wasn't yet available and I should order again
        later, despite the fact that their website said it was. I emailed them and
        was told that it was, indeed, available, so I tried again in late July and
        it arrived mid-August.

        > The companion volume to Recovering has just arrived at the
        > publisher's so it should be out fairly soon too.

        The Continuum website says the publication date is 31 August, but I plan to
        wait a week or two before ordering, given my previous experience. They say
        the price is 85 pounds sterling.

        "One can easily understand a child who is afraid of the dark. The real
        tragedy of life is when grown men and women are afraid of the light." -
        Plato

        Rev Judy Redman
        Uniting Church Chaplain
        University of New England
        Armidale 2351
        ph: +61 2 6773 3739
        fax: +61 2 6773 3749
        email: jredman@...
      • Adaire
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
          --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "sarban" <sarban@...> wrote:

          > "I find the proposed history of development of Thomas broadly
          > convincing but remain convinced that the earliest ascertainable
          form of
          > Thomas, the 'Thomas Kernel' is dependent on the synoptics."
          >
          > Andrew Criddle

          .
          .
          .
          Bart D. Ehrman makes the point in his "The Orthodox Corruption of
          Scripture" and even more succinctly in his "Misquoting Jesus" that
          the monasteries of Egypt were extremely careful in preserving
          manuscripts unaltered and intact. I think that "Thomas" coming from
          the Pachomian monasteries is probably far superior as to the original
          words of Jesus than the synoptics.

          The politics and war at the end of the first century and the
          beginning of the second were probably the cause of the reinvention of
          Jesus' words and teachings.

          Adaire Cain
        • Mike Buckner
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 23, 2006
            George Lamsa describes "for whose sake heaven and
            earth came into being" as an Aramaic idiom denoting respect.

            Michael Buckner, M. Div., Ph. D.
            <theoriginalteachingsofjesus.com>