Re: [GTh] very frivolous Coptic question

  • William Arnal
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 29, 2006
      Mike Grondin writes:

      >(I think Simon is resting on his laurels :-)

      As well he might . . .

      >Some second thoughts on nhHt-tHytn
      >(N2HT-THYTN): What confuses me about
      >this is thinking of the 2HT part of it as meaning
      >'mind'. Of course, that's one of the meanings
      >of 2HT, but when 2HT occurs in N2HT-x
      >(which it can do, with x = THYTN), I've only
      >seen it translated as 'in/of/among you(pl)'. This
      >seems to be a murky area, but among the
      >N2HT's in Thomas (10 by my count, none with
      >THYTN), almost none of them can be understood
      >as 'in the mind of x'.

      I think these are actually two completely different words. There's 2HT (I
      like your transliteration style, so I'll adopt it here) meaning "mind," with
      prepronominal form 2TH=, and which can in some idioms indicate possession by
      suffixation (this is an older form of the Egyptian possessive pronoun, and
      persists with some old words for body-parts, especially in prepositional
      compounds), but which normally constructs possession in the usual way
      (PA2HT, etc.). Then there's 2H, meaning belly or womb, with the
      prepronominal form 2HT=. A suffixial form of the latter is the basis for the
      preposition 2N, the prepronominal or presuffixial form of which is N2HT=;
      e.g., N2HTC, "in her," lit. "in her belly." Again, this formulation is based
      on the older style of indicating possession by a suffix, rather than by a
      pronoun joined to the definite article, and this archaism, as usual, appears
      only (?) with body parts.

      Again, I *think* that the N2HT-THYTN of the Marley lyrics was intended to be
      "of your mind(s)", modifying "slavery" (I should ask the author, and will).
      If so, I think your correction is entirely right -- 2HT's possessive, as a
      straightforward noun, should be PETN2HT, not 2HT-THYTN. But this has nothing
      to do, I think, with the preposition "in" (as 2N, N2HT=), which *looks* like
      "of/in mind," but is based on an entirely different noun.

      >that when the Copts wanted to say
      >'x's mind', they used the construction possessive +
      >noun (in this case, PETN-2HT).

      Yes, I agree completely.

      whew,
      Bill
      ______________________
      William Arnal
      University of Regina
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 29, 2006
        [Bill]:
        > I think these are actually two completely different
        > words. There's 2HT ... meaning "mind," with
        > prepronominal form 2TH= ...

        > Then there's 2H, meaning belly or womb, with the
        > prepronominal form 2HT=. A suffixial form of the
        > latter is the basis for the preposition 2N, the pre-
        > pronominal or presuffixial form of which is N2HT=;
        > e.g., N2HTC, "in her," lit. "in her belly."

        Spot on. Thanks for clearing that up.