Re: [GTh] GTh 114

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 9, 2006
      [Jed Chandler]:
      > Perhaps also one could argue the interpretation of 114
      > that Jesus as Logos will lead Mary as Sophia to gestate
      > (female) and spread (male) the truth.

      The chief difficulty here would be to argue that Mary
      represents Sophia. The word 'sophia' isn't used at all
      in the text (much less equate Mary to it). Secondarily, the
      one place that 'logos' is used (79.2 - "Blessed are they
      who have listened to the LOGOS of the Father...") doesn't
      imply that Jesus is the Logos. The basic idea of listening
      (gestating?) as passive and female, and preaching as
      active and male seems sound, but this would apply to
      both physical males and females. Beyond that, getting
      full-blown Gnostic ideas out of GTh is like trying to get
      water out of a stone. More likely, 114 may have been
      viewed as a reversal of Genesis - with the new Adam
      leading the new Eve to spirituality, as the old Eve led
      the old Adam into sin and the physical world.

      > I wonder if there is also an element of the Valentinian
      > concept of a kind of hierarchy of maleness, too?

      I don't see any evidence of that in the text.