Re: [GTh] GTh 114

  • CJED5@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 9, 2006
      In a message dated 09/08/2006 07:13:22 GMT Daylight Time, sarban@...
      writes:

      >>So also, in the case of Adam, the male remained in him but all the female
      seed was taken from him >>and became Eve

      Thank you, Andrew. A neoplatonic ascent of the soul, through the genders
      with the eventual loss of the feminine. It seems to indicate a primordial
      hermaphrodite or unsexed human creation before the female split from Adam - and
      yet it is a commentary on "He created them in the image of God, male and
      female created he them."

      Jed Chandler

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 9, 2006
        [Jed Chandler]:
        > Perhaps also one could argue the interpretation of 114
        > that Jesus as Logos will lead Mary as Sophia to gestate
        > (female) and spread (male) the truth.

        The chief difficulty here would be to argue that Mary
        represents Sophia. The word 'sophia' isn't used at all
        in the text (much less equate Mary to it). Secondarily, the
        one place that 'logos' is used (79.2 - "Blessed are they
        who have listened to the LOGOS of the Father...") doesn't
        imply that Jesus is the Logos. The basic idea of listening
        (gestating?) as passive and female, and preaching as
        active and male seems sound, but this would apply to
        both physical males and females. Beyond that, getting
        full-blown Gnostic ideas out of GTh is like trying to get
        water out of a stone. More likely, 114 may have been
        viewed as a reversal of Genesis - with the new Adam
        leading the new Eve to spirituality, as the old Eve led
        the old Adam into sin and the physical world.

        > I wonder if there is also an element of the Valentinian
        > concept of a kind of hierarchy of maleness, too?

        I don't see any evidence of that in the text.