Back from brief exile, with a question

  • CJED5@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2006
      Have been concentrating on getting myself a bit up to speed on the
      background to studying the Coptic gospels with more understanding, and emerged with a
      question. Where can I find some resources considering the possible
      influences on the ideas of mutability/transcendence of gender identity (sayings 22 and
      114). Particularly, I'm trying to work out whether there could be any
      evidence here of contact with Egyptian beliefs that the female must become male
      for the process of rebirth in the afterlife. Plainly, unless the Egyptian
      female did not become an 'Osiris', s/he could not not enter eternal life: could
      there reference on 114 suggest a degree of cross-fertilisation (or even
      syncretism)?

      (My Coptic is coming along slowly; I'm glad I started to learn it, though,
      as it more than repays the study.)