Re: [GTh] somewhat off-topic Coptic question

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2006
      [Judy Redman wrote]:
      > I have been doing some revision in Lambdin and came across a sentence that
      > am having real difficulty with. My supervisor/advisor is out of town for
      > three weeks so I am wondering if someone will kindly tell me what to do
      > with
      > B18 in the exercises for chapter 20. I can think of several ways of
      > having
      > a Coptic word with three alphas in a row but I can't at the moment
      > conceive
      > of any way of dividing PETOUNAAAF that makes sense in the sentence. Maybe
      > I'm just tired. :-) Or maybe it's a typo???

      Hi Judy,

      I looked back at my answers to these exercises (no key that I know of) and
      see that I divided the word in question as PET-OY-NA-AA-F, i.e.,
      that-which-they-will-do (-it). I rendered the first part of the sentence as
      "What (is) that-which-they-will-do?", or less literally as "What will they
      do?". As I have it, the whole thing is:

      OY PET-OY-NA-AA-F 2M P-TREY-CWTM E-TEF-CMH
      What (will-they-do) as they-listen to-his-voice?

      When I first looked at this, the translation of the second part of the
      sentence seemed a bit odd, but on further investigation, I see that it's
      justified by 20.3 ("With the preposition 2N + the definite article P-, the
      Inflected Infinitive (in this case, TREY-CWTM) has the force of a temporal
      clause with 'while, as'.")

      Cheers,
      Mike

      p.s. to all members: Yahoogroups has changed the appearance of messages. If
      you don't like the new appearance (among other things, it has a smaller
      font), you can change it back to the way it was by going to
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gthomas/messages selecting "Edit Membership",
      and then choosing "Traditional" under "Message Preference". (Don't forget to
      hit "Save Changes" button.)
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12, 2006
        Thanks Mike.

        I worked out most of this *after* I'd posted my query, before I went to bed
        last night, and the last little bit fell into place when I got up this
        morning. Amazing what a good night's sleep will do! But it's also good to
        be reassured that I was on the right track.

        "One can easily understand a child who is afraid of the dark. The real
        tragedy of life is when grown men and women are afraid of the light." -
        Plato

        Rev Judy Redman
        Uniting Church Chaplain
        University of New England