RE: [GTh] Book has major typo

    Message 1 of 7 , May 22, 2006
      Hmmm...

      Missing/blank pages seem to plague this gospel, No?

      Rick

      Message 2 of 7 , May 22, 2006
        Rev. Miller has confirmed in private correspondence that the Shambhala
        edition of Davies' _Annotated and Explained_ does indeed lack sayings 74 and
        75. This should serve as warning, then, for members not to purchase that
        title. It's evidently the same as the Skylight Illuminations edition, with
        the exception of the errata, and with a larger font (as can be seen by
        comparing the SI edition with the sample pages of the Shambhala edition on
        the Amazon site). If anyone has any further information - either specific to
        these editions or of a general nature about the vagaries of publishing
        rights in countries of non-origin - please feel free to add to the
        discussion.

        Mike Grondin
        Mt. Clemens, MI
      • smithandp
        Message 3 of 7 , May 23, 2006
          I haven't seen the book, but it's a legitimate edition. Skylight Paths
          are my publishers too. They licensed the hardcover rights to
          Shambhala, who are an American publisher. Steve Davies approved it,
          but he wasn't very excited by the new edition.

          Andrew

          Message 4 of 7 , May 23, 2006
            [Andrew Smith]:
            > I haven't seen the book, but it's a legitimate edition. Skylight Paths
            > are my publishers too. They licensed the hardcover rights to
            > Shambhala, who are an American publisher. Steve Davies approved it,
            > but he wasn't very excited by the new edition.

            Thanks for clearing that up, Andrew. What threw me off was that the title
            page (as shown on Amazon) says "Printed in Singapore". I wasn't aware that
            some American publications might be printed overseas - or that hardcover
            rights might be licensed to another publisher with the paperback already in
            print. BTW, re your remark that Skylight Paths is your publisher as well,
            what about your own Bardic Press? Is it still in operation, and if so, how
            are sales of Davies' GTCW?

            Mike
          • Darrell Grizzle
            Message 5 of 7 , May 25, 2006
              I own both editions of Stevan Davies' translation, and there is NO typo
              in the Shambhala Library edition -- just bad formatting. Verses 73,
              74, and 75 are presented as one paragraph rather than three different
              verses, just as they are in the SkyLight edition. But the verse
              markers for 74 and 75 are embedded in the paragraph rather than off to
              the side, as every other verse is marked.

              I much prefer the SkyLight edition, with its facing-page commentary.

              Darrell

              The Lost Gospels of Judas and Thomas:
              A Tale of Two Gnostics
              http://www.whosoever.org/v10i6/judas.shtml
            • smithandp
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 15, 2006
                --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Grondin" <mwgrondin@...> wrote:
                BTW, re your remark that Skylight Paths is your publisher as well,
                > what about your own Bardic Press? Is it still in operation, and if
                so, how
                > are sales of Davies' GTCW?
                >
                > Mike

                Hello Mike,

                Yes, Bardic Press is still going, and Steve's book has done fairly
                well. With the exception of a couple of pet projects, I try to write
                for other publishers, rather than using Bardic Press, which would be
                self-publishing for me.

                Best Wishes

                Andrew