Re: [GTh] Book has major typo

    Message 1 of 7 , May 21, 2006
      [Rev. Lynn Miller]:
      > The Gospel of Thomas, translated and annotated by Stevan Davies, [is]
      > missing Logia 74 and 75. Logia 73 and its commentary begin on page 78
      > and end on page 80, and is followed immediately by Logia 76. I have
      > asked Shambhala Press to issue an errata sheet and/or send me the
      > missing text. If I get it, I will post it.

      Rev. Miller-

      This book appears to be an overseas (printed in Singapore) edition of the
      Skylight Illuminations 2002 title _The Gospel of Thomas Annotated and
      Explained_. The paging differs because the type has apparently been reset in
      a larger font for Shambhala. If, as the evidence seems to suggest, the two
      titles have the same content, then you will find #74 and 75 packed in with
      #73, the three of them being regarded by Davies (as per note #87) as a set
      of interrelated sayings. (Possibly the numbers 74 and 75 have been lost in
      the process of resetting the type?)

      Mike Grondin
      Mt. Clemens, MI
      Message 2 of 7 , May 22, 2006
        Hmmm...

        Missing/blank pages seem to plague this gospel, No?

        Rick

        |---------------------------------------------------------------
        |---------

        Message 3 of 7 , May 22, 2006
          Rev. Miller has confirmed in private correspondence that the Shambhala
          edition of Davies' _Annotated and Explained_ does indeed lack sayings 74 and
          75. This should serve as warning, then, for members not to purchase that
          title. It's evidently the same as the Skylight Illuminations edition, with
          the exception of the errata, and with a larger font (as can be seen by
          comparing the SI edition with the sample pages of the Shambhala edition on
          the Amazon site). If anyone has any further information - either specific to
          these editions or of a general nature about the vagaries of publishing
          rights in countries of non-origin - please feel free to add to the
          discussion.

          Mike Grondin
          Mt. Clemens, MI
        • smithandp
          Message 4 of 7 , May 23, 2006
            I haven't seen the book, but it's a legitimate edition. Skylight Paths
            are my publishers too. They licensed the hardcover rights to
            Shambhala, who are an American publisher. Steve Davies approved it,
            but he wasn't very excited by the new edition.

            Andrew

            Message 5 of 7 , May 23, 2006
              [Andrew Smith]:
              > I haven't seen the book, but it's a legitimate edition. Skylight Paths
              > are my publishers too. They licensed the hardcover rights to
              > Shambhala, who are an American publisher. Steve Davies approved it,
              > but he wasn't very excited by the new edition.

              Thanks for clearing that up, Andrew. What threw me off was that the title
              page (as shown on Amazon) says "Printed in Singapore". I wasn't aware that
              some American publications might be printed overseas - or that hardcover
              rights might be licensed to another publisher with the paperback already in
              print. BTW, re your remark that Skylight Paths is your publisher as well,
              what about your own Bardic Press? Is it still in operation, and if so, how
              are sales of Davies' GTCW?

              Mike
            • Darrell Grizzle
              Message 6 of 7 , May 25, 2006
                I own both editions of Stevan Davies' translation, and there is NO typo
                in the Shambhala Library edition -- just bad formatting. Verses 73,
                74, and 75 are presented as one paragraph rather than three different
                verses, just as they are in the SkyLight edition. But the verse
                markers for 74 and 75 are embedded in the paragraph rather than off to
                the side, as every other verse is marked.

                I much prefer the SkyLight edition, with its facing-page commentary.

                Darrell

                The Lost Gospels of Judas and Thomas:
                A Tale of Two Gnostics
                http://www.whosoever.org/v10i6/judas.shtml
              • smithandp
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 15, 2006
                  --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Grondin" <mwgrondin@...> wrote:
                  BTW, re your remark that Skylight Paths is your publisher as well,
                  > what about your own Bardic Press? Is it still in operation, and if
                  so, how
                  > are sales of Davies' GTCW?
                  >
                  > Mike

                  Hello Mike,

                  Yes, Bardic Press is still going, and Steve's book has done fairly
                  well. With the exception of a couple of pet projects, I try to write
                  for other publishers, rather than using Bardic Press, which would be
                  self-publishing for me.

                  Best Wishes

                  Andrew