Coptic Grammars

    Message 1 of 19 , May 1 4:44 AM
      Hi everyone,

      A while ago, we had a discussion about Coptic grammars in which Ariel
      Shisha-Halevy's "Coptic Grammatical Chrestomathy" was mentioned as good,
      but very expensive. In case anyone is interested, it is currently available
      through Abebooks.com at around $52 US, which from my perspective isn't
      horribly expensive.

      I now own a copy and would endorse April DeConick's assessment that although
      the author suggests that you could use it to teach yourself Coptic, it isn't
      really suitable for anyone who doesn't have at least the basics already. And
      also her assessment about the usefulness of the tables and glossaries in the
      back. Another rider, though: although it has a comprehenisve glossary of
      the gramatical terms used in it in the back, I think it would be more than a
      little daunting to anyone who has not had much exposure to the complexities
      of grammar.

      "One can easily understand a child who is afraid of the dark. The real
      tragedy of life is when grown men and women are afraid of the light." -
      Plato

      Rev Judy Redman
      Uniting Church Chaplain
      University of New England