Re: Coptic Editions of the Gospel of Thomas

  • Gerry
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2006
      --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "smithandp" <smithand44@...> wrote:

      > Bentley Layton, Coptic Gnostic Chrestomathy: A Selection of Coptic
      > Texts with Grammatical Analysis and Glossary (???: David Brown Book
      > Company, 2004)
      > I've just come across this on Amazon. It includes Thomas and a good
      > selection of other texts (not the Exegesis of the Soul
      unfortunately)
      > and it sounds like it has an interlinear aid to parsing the text.
      >
      > Andrew

      Hi Andrew.

      Layton's _Coptic Gnostic Chrestomathy_ is indeed a nice, portable
      anthology, but it is not at all an interlinear text. Contrary to how
      it is often described on-line, it is not even what I would properly
      consider "bilingual." In fact, such can only be asserted inasmuch as
      the book is written for an English-speaking market, but while the
      introduction and notes are in English, the body of the work is
      nothing more than the Coptic text of 15 tractates (abridged in some
      instances) from the Nag Hammadi Library. As the title implies, this
      book is a Coptic "Reader," and individuals interested in it should
      not expect anything more than that.

      As far as "parsing the text," even the publisher had this to say:

      ". . . Laid out in readable literary format, the Coptic text is
      analyzed into its component morphs, clarifying the grammatical
      structure at every point."
      ——http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?
      ISBN=9042912545&pdf=y

      What this is referring to is the use of spaces and hyphens to
      facilitate the reader's recognition of particles and lexemes in the
      Coptic text. It's easy to see how one might get the impression that
      there is some sort of detailed grammatical analysis going on there,
      but this is not at all the case.

      Still, I have enjoyed the convenience of this book whenever I have
      wanted to carry some Coptic texts with me for "light" reading or
      research. It's far easier to haul around than one or more hefty
      volumes of the Coptic Gnostic Library.

      Gerry