RE: [GTh] Re: Using L

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2006
      Mike writes:

      > [Andrew B]:
      > > Please, for my sake, just stop using it.
      > [the word 'logion' and its abbreviation 'L']
      >
      > Your objection seems to be well-founded, Andrew. Given that
      > 'saying' is the
      > word to be preferred, however, what abbreviation would you
      > suggest? 'S'?
      > 'Th'? (I've seen 'Thom', but that seems a bit too lengthy.)

      There doesn't seem to be any agreement about abbreviations amongst Thomas
      scholars, even about the name of the text. I've seen GTh (like our list)
      and GThos and GThom and even GThomas when talking about the whole gospel.
      When referring to particular sayings, Patterson uses Thom followed by the
      saying number (which is also used in Kloppenborg et al's "Q Thomas Reader" -
      not surprising since Patterson is one of the "al"); deConick, Arnal and Uro
      use Gos. Thom. again followed by the saying number but Arnal and deConick
      also refer to logion/logia at times; Valantasis, Robinson and Koester use
      Saying(s) followed by the number.

      The first paper I picked up yesterday was by Gilles Quispel, who was using
      l. (ie lowercase L fullstop) as an abbreviation for logion/logia, not line.
      I haven't been able to find quickly where I saw L, and it is possible that I
      actually adapted it myself from the lowercase L because the lowercase L is
      not easy to distinguish from an uppercase "i." or the number one when you're
      using a sans serif font as I do in my emails. :-) Because I have done all
      my previous work in Christian canonicals, I am used to having the nice,
      single letter abbreviation v for verse and vv for verses, so I just assumed
      that the L thing was the widespread equivalent.

      I am quite happy to use something else, but not really keen on having to
      type Saying or Gos. Thom. all the time. Maybe I'm just lazy. :-)

      "One can easily understand a child who is afraid of the dark. The real
      tragedy of life is when grown men and women are afraid of the light." -
      Plato

      Rev Judy Redman
      Uniting Church Chaplain
      University of New England