Re: [GTh] Design Theory

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 20, 2006
      Hi Ron,

      Thanks for your thoughtful analysis. I'll just respond to part of it here.

      > ... why didn't the Copts correct it? ... did they even "see" it?

      Yes, I'm quite sure they noticed it. The reason I'm
      rather certain about this is that in addition to what I've pointed out
      about the careful relationship they constructed between L42 and L11.1 (and
      between lines 70 and 480), there's evidence that they went through the
      whole thing with a fine-toothed comb. As you know, the Coptic of the time
      employed a number of Greek loan-words. It occurred to me to count those
      words, and so I did. There's 501 occurrences of Greek words and names in the
      text - which could mean nothing, except they're composed of 2401 letters!
      One of those words is the single-letter word 'W' (in "Oh, man, who made me a
      divider?" in saying 72). Coincidentally (?), saying 72 occurs at a dividing
      line - the first saying of the second group of 12 blocks of the text. I
      could say a lot more about that situation (being as how omega is an "end"),
      but I'll let you mull over the simple facts first.

      > And if they saw it, did they even "dare" change it? This was probably
      > considered an ancient and sacred text by the Copts at the time they
      > did the Nag Hammadi translation, and one supposes they would be
      > reluctant to make changes.

      Reluctant, perhaps, and yet they DID make some changes. Among other things,
      they evidently moved what is now 77B from saying 30, and my surmise is that
      its positioning partially on line 496 was no accident, due to the
      significance of the number 496 as the 3rd perfect number. (BTW, I don't
      recall noticing this until the other day when I was writing that note;
      previously, I didn't have a clue why they might have moved 77B. One thing
      that's kept me going down this road is that such results keep popping up
      unexpectedly. Not enough to prove the theory, but enough to indicate that it
      isn't a blind alley.)

      That's all I have time for right now. Hopefully, food for thought.