RE: [GTh] A Syntactical Design Element in Coptic Thomas

  • David Hindley
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 13, 2006
      Mike,

      Soon we're going to have to start calling you "Michael the Pythagorean."

      Dave

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 14, 2006
        Hi Dave-

        I've located the Laura Joffe material I was referring to. The article in
        question is "The Answer to the Meaning of Life, the Universe and the
        Elohistic Psalter", JSOT 27.2 (2002) 223-235. It was online at one point,
        and fortunately I printed it out, because now it can't be gotten without a
        subscription to online JSOT ( http://jot.sagepub.com ). This is the abstract
        for the paper:

        "This article asks why the Elohistic Psalter (Pss. 42-83) was commissioned.
        It is suggested that the Elohistic Psalter was constructed in order to
        invoke a 'magic triangle' (comprising God's name, the number 42, and a
        blessing) for some apotropaic purpose. It is argued that this theory gains
        credence from two areas: first, the importance of numerical organization of
        large groups of Psalms; and second, the history of the number 42, which in
        biblical times was a number of disaster, and in later Jewish tradition
        became associated with a protective name of God."

        Joffe also published an earlier paper in SJOT (Scandanavian Journal of the
        OT) 15 (2001) called 'The Elohistic Psalter: What, How and Why?' which I
        haven't read.

        I should say also that all of my claims about the syntax of CGTh can be
        publicly checked. I have a pdf file at
        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9068/gtbypage_112702.pdf which reproduces
        the Coptic ms line-by-line and page-by-page, with English translation under
        each Coptic word, and each line and 'IS' numbered. I based this on a close
        examination of the photostats in the facsimile edition of the NH codices and
        checked it against Bentley Layton's critical edition. I believe that the
        accuracy of my rendering compares favorably with his or anyone else's (the
        critical edition leaves out the word 'AUW' in 50:09, for example).

        I suspect that my talk about numbers and syntax both swims before the eyes
        and introduces some degree of cognitive dissonance in the reader. We have a
        model in mind wherein the scribe was free to write pretty much what he could
        fit on each line. Whether that model is true in general or not, it's
        evidently not applicable to the Coptic ms. Imagine the scribe coming to the
        end of saying 41 on the standard model. It could have been anywhere within a
        line. The chances of it being at the end of a line are unlikely, but
        possible - since some sayings (23 of them, to be exact) do end at the end of
        a line. OK, so the unlikely happens, let's say. Then it also happens that
        the 'IS' on line 280 is the 42nd in the text, and by happy coincidence 42 +
        280/10 = 70, which is the number of the line on which the scribe has
        coincidentally written the word PARAGE in the same position as on line 280.
        Mind you, PARAGE isn't a common word in the text; it occurs only three
        times: at the end of lines 280 and 70, and split between lines 69 and 70. If
        you're calculating the probability of coincidences as we go, you're probably
        close to zero already. But then the number of letters in saying 42 plus 11.1
        = 70, and you add in a few more things about the divisibility of sayings 42
        and 11.1, and it boggles the mind. Either the Holy Spirit was guiding the
        scribe's hand, or our standard model of scribal activity simply doesn't
        apply to the Coptic ms. We have to entertain the distinct possibility that
        the Coptic scribe was closely following a prototype which had been designed
        with certain syntactical features in mind.

        BTW, this isn't the only piece of evidence of intentional design, but it'll
        do for starters.

        Mike Grondin
      • David Arbuckle
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 14, 2006
          This is fascinating Mike.

          thanks for the info.

          I appreciate your input on the list.

          dave [arbuckle]

          Ed note: Just to be clear, the "Dave" in the greeting of my note was Dave Hindley. I'm sure that Dave A. knows that, but since I didn't quote from Dave H's one-line note, others may not. - Mike G.