Re: [GTh] Re: A preliminarily work in GHoly12 associated with GThomas (parallels?)

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 20, 2006
      From: "benedictlo1" <benedictlo1@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 11:48 PM
      Subject: [GTh] Re: A preliminarily work in GHoly12 associated with GThomas
      (parallels?)

      [ I use " xxxx " to indicate correlected text. ]
      GH12 - 88:5
      "And Jesus said, I stood in the midst of the world, and in
      the flesh was I seen and heard, and I found all men glutted with their
      own pleasures, and drunk with their own follies, and none found I
      hungry or athirst for the wisdom which is of God. My soul grieveth
      over the sons and daughters of men because they are blind in their
      heart, and in their soul are they deaf and hear not my voice."

      GTh - 28 (Greek)
      "Jesus saith: I stood in the midst of the world, and in the flesh was
      I seen of them, and I found and men drunken, and none found I athirst
      among them, and my soul grieveth over the sons of men because they are
      blind in their heart."

      ==========================
      GH12 - 27:12
      .. But a city which is built foursquare, enclosed in a circle or on
      the top of a hill, and "established on a rock, can neither fall" nor
      be hidden.

      GH12 - 39:6
      Again, the Kingdom of Heaven is like unto a City "built foursquare on
      the top of a high hill, and established on a rock, and strong in its
      surrounding wall", and its towers and its gates, which lie to the
      north, and to the south, and to the east, and to the west. Such a
      city falleth not, neither can it be hidden,.

      GTh - 32
      A city built upon the top of a hill "and fortified, can neither fall"
      nor be hidden.

      ============================
      GH12 - 13:5
      And he said: Verily I say unto you, No prophet is accepted in his own
      home or in his own country, "neither doth a physician work cures upon
      them that know him."

      GTh - 31
      Jesus said, A prophet is not . . "Nor does a physican perform healings
      for those who know him."

      ============================
      GH12 - 39:5
      Again, the Kingdom of Heaven is like unto a woman who taketh of the
      incorruptible leaven and hideth it in three measures of meal, till the
      whole is leavened, and being baked by fire, "becometh one loaf." .

      GTh - 96
      Jesus said, The Father's kingdom is like a woman. She took a ..., and
      "made it into large loaves of bread"...

      ============================
      GH12 - 19:6
      "Raise the Stone, and there thou shall find me. Cleave the wood, and
      there am I." For in the fire and in the water even as in every living
      form, God is manifest as it's Life and it's Substance.

      GTh - 30 (Greek)
      Jesus said, ., I say, I am with him. "Lift the stone and there you
      will find me. Split the wood and I am there."

      ============================
      Hi Benedict

      All the above examples, (except for GH12 - 39:5 //GTh - 96 which
      is IMO weak), are found in P Oxyrhynchus 1 this was first published
      in 1897 (the other Greek Thomas papyri were published some years
      later in 1904

      Now from
      http://members.tripod.com/jbrooks2/Memoriam_Rev_Ouseley.html
      we learn of the GHoly12 that

      "It was first published by instalments in the columns of The Lindsey &
      Lincolnshire Star. These were concluded in the early part of 1900, and at
      the close of the following year, the First Edition was published, and
      further Editions followed. In 1903 a "revised and enlarged" Edition appears
      to have been published, and in 1904 a "New and Complete Edition" was
      published, the last during Rev. Ouseley's lifetime. "

      If this information is accurate then influence of P. Oxy 1 on GHoly12
      would seem non-problematic.

      Andrew Criddle
    • benedictlo1
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 21, 2006
        > Hi Benedict
        >
        > All the above examples, (except for GH12 - 39:5 //GTh - 96 which
        > is IMO weak), are found in P Oxyrhynchus 1 this was first published
        > in 1897 (the other Greek Thomas papyri were published some years
        > later in 1904
        >
        > Now from
        > http://members.tripod.com/jbrooks2/Memoriam_Rev_Ouseley.html
        > we learn of the GHoly12 that
        >
        > "It was first published by instalments in the columns of The Lindsey &
        > Lincolnshire Star. These were concluded in the early part of 1900,
        and at
        > the close of the following year, ... "New and Complete Edition" was
        > published, the last during Rev. Ouseley's lifetime. "
        >
        > If this information is accurate then influence of P. Oxy 1 on GHoly12
        > would seem non-problematic.
        >
        > Andrew Criddle

        Dear Andrew Criddle:

        I am not so sure that we can completely trust websites. I scanned
        through many of them including the one you cited. Some claimed that
        the 1st edition of GH12 was published in 1892. We only need 90% - 99%
        confidence to convince ourselves. However, academically speaking we
        need provide 100% evidence, if we can, to convince everybody including
        those not yet born to close the case.

        Benedict