RE: [GTh] Is Thomas Christian?

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 20, 2006
      Ed writes:

      > Hello, Mike,
      >
      > While I agree that a demand for orthodoxy even to the point
      > of belief in
      > the resurrection is not an appropriate litmus test for what should be
      > considered a form of ancient Christianity, the name itself implies an
      > identification of Jesus as "Christ." That is, it seems to me
      > that there
      > were movements that followed Jesus and/or his attributed
      > teachings that
      > would not properly fit the term "Christian." Can we really
      > consider the
      > Thomas community "Christian" in the absence of evidence that they
      > thought Jesus was Christ?

      Good point. OTOH, can we consider them *not* Christian in the absence of
      concrete evidence that they didn't?
      Given that Thomas displays no interest in any other aspect of Jesus' life
      than his teachings and is essentially a sayings source rather than a gospel
      like the Christian canonicals, I think it is virtually impossible to know
      what Thomas' take on the resurrection is. What GThos says about
      understanding Jesus' words being the key to eternal life (fairly radical
      paraphrase, I know) would certainly move it outside the orthodox Protestant
      formulation of Christianity where salvation comes by grace through faith
      alone, although one might well argue that the role of the Spirit is to give
      knowledge so that understanding Christ's teachings might well be the result
      of the indwelling of the Spirit that comes with faith in Christ. The
      Catholic understanding gives, I think, more status to one's actions combined
      with faith but obviously both these formulations are far newer than GThos.

      However, the first ecumenical Council of the church, held in Nicaea in 325
      CE, formulated orthodox Christian belief as follows:

      "We believe in one God the Father Almighty, Maker of all things visible and
      invisible; and in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only begotten of the Father,
      that is, of the substance [ek tes ousias] of the Father, God of God, light
      of light, true God of true God, begotten not made, of the same substance
      with the Father [homoousion to patri], through whom all things were made
      both in heaven and on earth; who for us men and our salvation descended, was
      incarnate, and was made man, suffered and rose again the third day, ascended
      into heaven and cometh to judge the living and the dead. And in the Holy
      Ghost. Those who say: There was a time when He was not, and He was not
      before He was begotten; and that He was made our of nothing (ex ouk onton);
      or who maintain that He is of another hypostasis or another substance [than
      the Father], or that the Son of God is created, or mutable, or subject to
      change, [them] the Catholic Church anathematizes."

      (I got this from the Catholic Encyclopaedia and I think that it would be
      equally or maybe even more legitimate to use lowercase and say "catholic
      church")

      Because I am fairly new to the study of GThos and I am investigating
      something other than this, I don't wish to be dogmatic but my impression is
      that GThos could not be definitively labelled "not Christian" on the basis
      of this creed. Or could it?

      Judy
    • Lee Edgar Tyler
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 20, 2006
        Judy Redman wrote:

        >Ed writes:
        >

        >>Hello, Mike,
        >>
        >>While I agree that a demand for orthodoxy even to the point
        >>of belief in
        >>the resurrection is not an appropriate litmus test for what should be
        >>considered a form of ancient Christianity, the name itself implies an
        >>identification of Jesus as "Christ." That is, it seems to me
        >>that there
        >>were movements that followed Jesus and/or his attributed
        >>teachings that
        >>would not properly fit the term "Christian." Can we really
        >>consider the
        >>Thomas community "Christian" in the absence of evidence that they
        >>thought Jesus was Christ?
        >>

        >Good point. OTOH, can we consider them *not* Christian in the absence of
        >concrete evidence that they didn't?

        That judgment would depend upon several things. Could you really
        *expect* a definitive statement in Thomas to the effect "Jesus said: 'I
        am not a Christ'" the way Nixon said "I am not a crook"? I don't think
        so. So we would have to decide what constitutes convincing evidence
        that the Thomas community did not regard Jesus as the Christ. Would a
        complete absence of such an attribution in a text the length of Thomas
        constitute such evidence? While I'm inclined to think so, I wouldn't
        bet the farm on it.

        I am comfortable in asserting that given the present resources we have
        no warrant to label the Thomas community "Christian," if we define the
        term as a community that held Jesus to be the Christ. There is no
        problem that I can see in allowing for agnosticism on that point in our
        methodology. If next week another Mohammed Ali comes across another
        Coptic library that reveals the Thomas community thought Jesus was the
        Christ (whether they made his resurrection a dogma or not) then we'd
        need to reevaluate our taxonomy. But it seems to me to be at least
        potentially misleading or confusing to term a community "Christian" if
        we have no evidence that they believed in a Christ at all.

        Ed Tyler

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 20, 2006
          Ed writes:

          > But it seems to me to be at least
          > potentially misleading or confusing to term a community
          > "Christian" if
          > we have no evidence that they believed in a Christ at all.

          I agree. In the case of the Thomas community, I don't think we have
          sufficient information to make a definitive statement either way. On the
          basis of the evidence before us the Thomas may or may not have believed in a
          Christ and if they did, may or may not have believed that Jesus was the
          Christ. I guess this means that, if we are being careful about our
          labelling, we should refer to it as "a document of the early Christian era".

          "One can easily understand a child who is afraid of the dark. The real
          tragedy of life is when grown men and women are afraid of the light." -
          Plato

          Rev Judy Redman
          Uniting Church Chaplain
          University of New England
          Armidale 2351
          ph: +61 2 6773 3739
          fax: +61 2 6773 3749
          email: jredman@...

        • David Renfro
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 20, 2006
            If we use terms like "Early Christian", "proto-Christian", "Thomasine Christian", don't we prejudice our discussion with a suggestion that somehow, someway, the GThom is Christian.
            Dave R.
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 20, 2006
              [Ed]:
              > But it seems to me to be at least potentially misleading or confusing to
              > term a community "Christian" if we have no evidence that they believed in
              > a Christ at all.

              [Judy]:
              > I agree. In the case of the Thomas community, I don't think we have
              > sufficient information to make a definitive statement either way. On the
              > basis of the evidence before us the Thomas may or may not have believed
              > in a Christ and if they did, may or may not have believed that Jesus was
              > the Christ. I guess this means that, if we are being careful about our
              > labelling, we should refer to it as "a document of the early Christian
              > era".

              Let me push this a little further, if I may, and see if I can formulate a
              proposal for purposes of discussion. Although there's no titles given for
              Jesus in GThom, there is in the Book of Thomas the Contender. If this text
              belongs to the same community, then it's significant that therein he's
              referred to with two titles - 'Lord' (the Coptic word, not the Greek) and
              'Savior' (SWTHR abbreviated and overstroked as SWR - indicating a
              "sacred name"). But he's not called 'Christ' there either. Why not?

              One explanation that strikes me as plausible is that the Thomas community
              had rejected the notion of defining Jesus in terms of the Hebrew concept of
              Messiahship - hence avoided the title 'Christ' - even though it used other
              titles that were every bit as exalted - if not more so. The chief piece of
              supporting evidence for this view is saying 52, which I take as rejecting
              the process of proof-texting from the Hebrew scriptures. As Valantasis
              remarks about this saying:

              "The narrator portrays Jesus as rejecting the textualized prophecies of the
              Israelite Scriptures - these are dead writings - in favor of the narrator's
              own constructed 'living' voice from the 'living one' who speaks the sayings
              of Jesus." (_The Gospel of Thomas_, p.130)

              But the concept of Messiahship is contained in those scriptures and
              prophecies. To embrace Messiahship then, may have been seen as treating
              those scriptures and prophecies as 'living', not 'dead', and that was
              something that the Thomas community seems to have been unwilling to do,
              for whatever reasons (which I won't get into here.)

              Aside from whether the proposal is felt to have merit, let's think of it
              this way:: suppose that I'm a person whose notion of Jesus is
              every bit as elevated as any Christian, but for whatever reason, I don't
              want to associate him with messiahship. Maybe I think that concept is too
              limited or too provincial, for example (my reasons don't have to be good
              ones). Am I a Christian? Apparently not, strictly speaking. But should we
              speak strictly in this case? Because to say that I'm non-Christian
              doesn't sound right either - since that seems to imply that I don't share
              the Christian's view of Jesus as divine, which I do (in this hypothetical
              example). Is there any term that we could use so as to avoid lengthy
              circumlocutions? 'Yeshuine', perhaps? Or is this a problem for which there
              is no good solution?

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 21, 2006
                > [Ed]:
                > > But it seems to me to be at least potentially misleading
                > or confusing
                > > to term a community "Christian" if we have no evidence that they
                > > believed in a Christ at all.
                >
                > [Judy]:
                > > I agree. In the case of the Thomas community, I don't
                > think we have
                > > sufficient information to make a definitive statement
                > either way. On
                > > the basis of the evidence before us the Thomas may or may not have
                > > believed in a Christ and if they did, may or may not have believed
                > > that Jesus was the Christ. I guess this means that, if we
                > are being
                > > careful about our labelling, we should refer to it as "a
                > document of
                > > the early Christian era".

                [Mike]
                > Let me push this a little further, if I may, and see if I can
                > formulate a proposal for purposes of discussion. Although
                > there's no titles given for Jesus in GThom, there is in the
                > Book of Thomas the Contender. If this text belongs to the
                > same community, then it's significant that therein he's
                > referred to with two titles - 'Lord' (the Coptic word, not
                > the Greek) and 'Savior' (SWTHR abbreviated and overstroked as
                > SWR - indicating a "sacred name"). But he's not called
                > 'Christ' there either. Why not?
                >
                > One explanation that strikes me as plausible is that the
                > Thomas community had rejected the notion of defining Jesus in
                > terms of the Hebrew concept of Messiahship - hence avoided
                > the title 'Christ' - even though it used other titles that
                > were every bit as exalted - if not more so.

                Where I come from, the conservative Christians would be quite happy to
                include someone who names Jesus as Lord and Saviour as one of them - it's
                one of their tests for orthodoxy. I am not sure that using the *title*
                Messiah is essential if the understanding of the messianic *work* is there.
                This would be especially true if the Thomas community were largely not
                Hebrew or Aramaic speakers and largely non-Jewish in background. There
                might be seen to be little point in insisting that people learned a new word
                if they already had one that would work quite well in their own language.
                So another explanation would be that the leaders of the community had simply
                decided not to use a title that they would have to define to a group of
                non-Jewish, non-Hebrew/Aramaic speakers. To a certain extent, this hinges
                on what you understand to be the provenance and original language of GThos
                (and Thomas the Contender) and there is still contraversy over this.

                I don't know if this takes us any further forward, but I find it
                interesting. :-)

                Judy
              • David Renfro
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 21, 2006
                  Mike writes:
                  Is there any term that we could use so as to avoid lengthy
                  circumlocutions? 'Yeshuine', perhaps? Or is this a problem for
                  which there is no good solution?

                  Mike,
                  As you know, I've been using the term "Yeshuaism" for a while now.
                  Before we can define what "Yeshuaism" is, we must decide what the
                  parameters of Christianity are. And if there is merit in coining a new
                  word that makes that distinction.
                  Christianity, as a term, has become a broad brush with which all
                  "Jesus Worship" is painted. This taints any "Thomasine Jesus Worship":
                  with a "Hellenized" prejudice.
                  I've been avoiding using "Yeshuaism" "Yeshuine" "Yeshuite" on this
                  forum until the soft edges of "Christianity" could be defined. As this
                  topic is under debate, I hope I'm not premature in suggesting,
                  Yeshuaism: Non-Christian worship of Yeshua Ben Yosef.
                  Dave R.
                  Sanford Fl.

                • David C. Hindley
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 21, 2006
                    --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "Judy Redman" <jredman@p...> wrote:

[...]

                    Maybe I'm not paying sufficient attention, but hasn't this discussion
                    been glossing over the difference between a Jewish messiah
                    ("Christos" in Greek) and the LATER title applied to Jesus that
                    indicated he is a *divine redeemer* figure?

                    In the former case "christian" (small "c") would mean
                    essentially "messianist," and cannot necessarily be restricted to
                    followers of Jesus alone. Others may also have claimed to be, or had
                    been ascribed, the mantle of Jewish messiahship, and they would have
                    had followers too. This concept can be applied to any formally
                    anointed ruler figure, including the Jewish High Priest or perhaps
                    one of the Herodian client kings. This has significance when
                    considering what kind of people an author like Tacitus means when he
                    speaks of "christians". In Roman eyes, "messianism" is tantamount
                    to "rebellion against the Roman order" (except perhaps in the case of
                    an officially recognized client king or High Priest). This is
                    apparently what folks are referring to as "low" christology. While
                    there is difference of modern opinion about how "high"
                    the "christology" of early Jewish followers of Jesus was, I'd be
                    inclined to think that the earliest followers, both Jewish and
                    gentile, would have been strictly messianists, and thus best
                    described as "christians" (small "c").

                    The later use of the term "christos" seems to be associated with
                    followers of Jesus *as some form of redeemer*. This is apparently
                    what folks are referring to as "high" christology. Followers of Jesus
                    the divine redeemer would thus be "Christians" (big "C"). When WE
                    think of "Christian", we are thinking of the latter use. Those
                    followers of Jesus who re-thought the concept of messiahship and
                    transformed it from a distinctly Jewish title of earthly authority to
                    a title of divine redeemership, would be "Christians". Probably also
                    Gnostics (big "G") would belong in this latter class. Even after
                    Jesus' death, many of his followers probably did not immediately
                    elevate him to divine redeemer status, and some may never have. Maybe
                    we could tuck Ebionites into this last category and treat them
                    as "christians" (small "c").

                    The author of Gospel of Thomas does not seem to put itself into
                    either camp. Jesus is someone who they believed said profound things.
                    Mikes' suggestion of something like "Yeshuan" (or simply a "follower"
                    of Jesus, or collectively a "Jesus movement") seems good. If the
                    term "gnostic" (small "g") is taken to be those who love profound
                    truths (in writings) not readily seen on the surface, as opposed to
                    Gnostics (big "G") who believe in (a) divine redeemer figure(s), then
                    the Thomas community would be "gnostics" and not "christians"
                    or "Christians."

                    Respectfully,

                    Dave Hindley
                    Cleveland, Ohio USA
                  • David Arbuckle
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 21, 2006
                      Hello all,

                      I have not posted on this list much as I have been
                      busy on other yahoo groups, but have followed this
                      thread with great interest.

                      I have always thought that the sayings in Thomas
                      that have parallels in the NT seem to the laymen (me)
                      to be more primitive then their counterparts in the
                      NT. I have always filed that in my brain as proof that
                      Thomas was earlier at least in part then the NT. It
                      seems that if I am right, and the fact that Acts is
                      quite late, and that it is generally regarded as the
                      the source that most use as the origin of that term
                      (christian) that maybe the term 'christian' had not
                      even been coined as yet when Thomas was first penned.

                      It would seem to make sense that the followers of
                      Yeshua of the Thomasine community and the author(s) of
                      Thomas may not have been even aquainted with the term.

                      At any rate, I personally like the term Yeshuines,
                      Yeshuaism over christian or christianity as it brings
                      the focus back to the man instead of the deity that
                      would appear to be a late invention.

                      my two cents.

                      dave

                      http://mail.yahoo.com