Re: [GTh] defining Christianity

  • David Arbuckle
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 18, 2006
      David.. Yeah, I think your right.

      I tend to think that the word christian in the
      historical context started with Paul's mission. It was
      unknown before that and the first followers would not
      understand its use or meaning. I am still a member of
      the ebionite yahoo group that you and I discoverd a
      while back, and they don't buy into any of the
      ressurection stuff, but I am not sure that is how 1st
      or 2nd century Jewish followers felt. I am not
      convinced that the ressurection story is only a
      christian invention. It may be that James and the
      apostles believed that it ocurred.

      I think the living Jesus is much more interesting
      regardless.

      dave [arbuckle]
    • BitsyCat1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 20, 2006
        As I understand it, this is not exclusively a Christian concept, but is accepted Pharisaical theology which means that the principal cannot be the defining principal of the movement.

        Resurrection is not even exclusive to that particular type of Religious thinking.

        That the physical man Jesus was resurrected, as a demonstration of the
        conquest of death, as also in the Lazarus story, may be ONE or the core beliefs.

        But just the resurrection is not the defining value of Christianity

        Regards,
        John Moon
        Springfield,Tenn 37172
        johnmoon3717@...