Re: A preliminarily work in GHoly12 associated with GThomas (parallels?)

  • smithandp
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 19, 2006
      Benedict,

      The simple answer is that Ousley used the Oxyrhynchus Greek fragments
      of Thomas published by Grenfell and Hunt in 1898 and 1904. The sayings
      below that aren't in the Greek Thomas fragments have synoptic
      parallels which would have been Ouseley's source.

      Best Wishes

      Andrew

      --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "benedictlo1" <benedictlo1@y...> wrote:

> [...]
      > blind in their heart."
      >
      > ==========================
      > GH12 – 27:12
      > …. But a city which is built foursquare, enclosed in a circle or on
      > the top of a hill, and "established on a rock, can neither fall" nor
      > be hidden.
      >
      > GH12 – 39:6
      > Again, the Kingdom of Heaven is like unto a City "built foursquare on
      > the top of a high hill, and established on a rock, and strong in its
      > surrounding wall", and its towers and its gates, which lie to the
      > north, and to the south, and to the east, and to the west. Such a
      > city falleth not, neither can it be hidden,…
      >
      > GTh – 32
      > A city built upon the top of a hill "and fortified, can neither fall"
      > nor be hidden.
      >
      > ============================
      > GH12 – 13:5
      > And he said: Verily I say unto you, No prophet is accepted in his own
      > home or in his own country, "neither doth a physician work cures upon
      > them that know him."
      >
      > GTh - 31
      > Jesus said, A prophet is not … . "Nor does a physican perform healings
      > for those who know him."
      >
      > ============================
      > GH12 - 39:5
      > Again, the Kingdom of Heaven is like unto a woman who taketh of the
      > incorruptible leaven and hideth it in three measures of meal, till the
      > whole is leavened, and being baked by fire, "becometh one loaf." …
      >
      > GTh - 96
      > Jesus said, The Father's kingdom is like a woman. She took a ..., and
      > "made it into large loaves of bread"...
      >
      > ============================
      > GH12 - 19:6
      > "Raise the Stone, and there thou shall find me. Cleave the wood, and
      > there am I." For in the fire and in the water even as in every living
      > form, God is manifest as it's Life and it's Substance.
      >
      > GTh – 30 (Greek)
      > Jesus said, …, I say, I am with him. "Lift the stone and there you
      > will find me. Split the wood and I am there."
      >
      > ============================
      > (The following ones are not in the sense of words but in meaning)
      > GH12 - 64:7
      > "From the Eternal they flow, to the Eternal they return." The spirit
      > to Spirit, soul to Soul, mind to Mind, sense to Sense, life to Life,
      > form to Form, dust to Dust.
      >
      > GH12 - 94:2
      > "As all creatures come forth from the unseen into this world, so they
      > return to the unseen, and so will they come again till they be
      purified."

      > GTh - 49
      > Jesus said: Congratulations to those who are alone and chosen, for you
      > will find the kingdom. "For you have come from it, and you will return
      > there again."
      >
      > GTh - 77
      > Jesus said: "I am the light that is over all things. I am all: from me
      > all came forth, and to me all attained."

    • benedictlo1
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 19, 2006
        > Benedict,
        >
        > The simple answer is that Ousley used the Oxyrhynchus Greek fragments
        > of Thomas published by Grenfell and Hunt in 1898 and 1904. The sayings
        > below that aren't in the Greek Thomas fragments have synoptic
        > parallels which would have been Ouseley's source.
        >
        > Best Wishes
        >
        > Andrew

        Andrew:

        I believe others investigators including myself would have a similar
        answer. To be fair, we need to find the earliest version of GH12
        (1892-189?), to prove that these were not in there and junk it.

        However, personally I like several chapters made up or collected from
        somewhere in GH12. In terms of quality, some of these are much better
        than those collected in old old days by some unknown persons. But many
        missionaries from the West come, proclaim that the collection is
        nothing but the TRUTH, and push everybody to worship it.

        One major reason that I brought GThomas to Chinese people's attention
        is because its unequaled quality. In addition, its spiritual approch
        in some way is very similar to the Zen but 500 years earlier.

        Benedict