A preliminarily work on a few passages in GHoly12 associated with GThomas

  • benedictlo1
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 16, 2006
      A few years ago, my friend introduced me about the Gospel of Holy 12
      (GoH12), I quickly scanned it and found that it is a book compiled
      canonical gospels and other things with vegetarian episodes. It made
      me immediately think "the current form of Genesis". I then checked
      the web and found that several places post the entire book in their
      websites. With further checking, I also learned that most scholars
      think that this book is a fake one. Before I gave up, I went back to
      read a little bit more. I was shocked that there are quite a few
      passages that I thought unique in the GoTh but shown in the GoH12. I
      therefore took some efforts translating entire English text of the
      book into Chinese and coded different sources with different colors
      for my research purposes. I also highlighted those places related to
      GoTh and wrote commentaries based on my biblical research in
      vegetarian and my study in Essene. Because the earliest edition I
      could find is the 1923 version of GoH12, I decided to visit the
      British Library. But the librarians of BL told me that their earlier
      version copies of the GoH12 were destroyed during the WWII. Because
      my research is incomplete, I could not publish anything with it. I
      have two plans in my mind:
      (1) If the earlier version of GoH12 contains the same GoTh material as
      the later versions, I will publish my color coded Chinese GoH12
      translation.
      (2) If the earlier version of GoH12 does not contain the same GoTh
      material as the later versions, I will not publish my Chinese
      translation. However, I will write a paper reporting my investigation
      of the GoH12.

      I am stuck now. Can anybody in this group help?

      Andew: You know more scholars in the field of GoTh. Does anybody
      study this kind of thing? I will be more than happy to discuss my
      research with the individual who has studied this area. By the time
      this thing becomes clear, Chinese can be a major language. That is
      why I write everything in Chinese now :-).

      In my Chinese GoTh book, I did quote some GoH12 texts for those places
      highly associated with GoTh verses. But I did point out in the book
      that that the information complied in the GoH12 is considered fake in
      the biblical society. However, there are some overlapped between the
      GoH12 and the GoTh for unknown reasons.

      On the other hand, if the author(s) of GoH12 intended to compile
      gospel material become one book as the author of current Geneses did.
      It may be interesting to find out which part of the GoTh is fake and
      which part may come from somewhere or nowhere but helpful or
      interesting. For a long time, oriental spiritual approaches such as
      Da-Jern Jin do embrace all trustful and qualified fake ones for
      everybody's critical review.

      Benedict
    • benedictlo1
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 16, 2006
        (I'm sorry! There are typos in the last paragraph that I must correct
        them)
        On the other hand, if the author(s) of the GoH12 intended to compile
        gospel material in his view become one set of collection as the author
        of current version of the Genesis did, it maybe interesting to find out
        which part of the "GoH12" is fake and which part may come from
        somewhere or nowhere but helpful or interesting. For a long time,
        oriental spiritual approaches such as the Da-Jern Jin do embrace all
        trustful and qualified fake ones for readers' critical review.

        Benedict
      • smithandp
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 18, 2006
          Hi benedict,

          If you post the parallels between Thomas and GHoly12 we could discuss
          them. It looks like Ousley used known agrapha when he constructed the
          gospel. The preface claimed "...Their Gospel of the Holy Twelve was
          communicated to the Editors, in numerous fragments at different times,
          by Emmanuel Swedenborg, Anna Kingsford, Edward Maitland, and a priest
          of the former century, giving his name as Placidus, of the Franciscan
          Order, afterwards a Carmelite. By them it was as translated from the
          original, and given to the Editors in the flesh, to be supplemented in
          their proper places, where indicated, from the "Four Gospels" (A.V.)
          revised where necessary by the same."

          Best Wishes

          Andrew

          --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "benedictlo1" <benedictlo1@y...> wrote:

          > A few years ago, my friend introduced me about the Gospel of Holy 12
          > (GoH12), I quickly scanned it and found that it is a book compiled
          > canonical gospels and other things with vegetarian episodes. It made
          > me immediately think "the current form of Genesis". I then checked
          > the web and found that several places post the entire book in their
          > websites. With further checking, I also learned that most scholars
          > think that this book is a fake one. Before I gave up, I went back to
          > read a little bit more. I was shocked that there are quite a few
          > passages that I thought unique in the GoTh but shown in the GoH12. I
          > therefore took some efforts translating entire English text of the
          > book into Chinese and coded different sources with different colors
          > for my research purposes. I also highlighted those places related to
          > GoTh and wrote commentaries based on my biblical research in
          > vegetarian and my study in Essene. Because the earliest edition I
          > could find is the 1923 version of GoH12, I decided to visit the
          > British Library. But the librarians of BL told me that their earlier
          > version copies of the GoH12 were destroyed during the WWII. Because
          > my research is incomplete, I could not publish anything with it. I
          > have two plans in my mind:
          > (1) If the earlier version of GoH12 contains the same GoTh material as
          > the later versions, I will publish my color coded Chinese GoH12
          > translation.
          > (2) If the earlier version of GoH12 does not contain the same GoTh
          > material as the later versions, I will not publish my Chinese
          > translation. However, I will write a paper reporting my investigation
          > of the GoH12.
          >
          > I am stuck now. Can anybody in this group help?
          >
          > Andew: You know more scholars in the field of GoTh. Does anybody
          > study this kind of thing? I will be more than happy to discuss my
          > research with the individual who has studied this area. By the time
          > this thing becomes clear, Chinese can be a major language. That is
          > why I write everything in Chinese now :-).
          >
          > In my Chinese GoTh book, I did quote some GoH12 texts for those places
          > highly associated with GoTh verses. But I did point out in the book
          > that that the information complied in the GoH12 is considered fake in
          > the biblical society. However, there are some overlapped between the
          > GoH12 and the GoTh for unknown reasons.
          >
          > On the other hand, if the author(s) of GoH12 intended to compile
          > gospel material become one book as the author of current Geneses did.
          > It may be interesting to find out which part of the GoTh is fake and
          > which part may come from somewhere or nowhere but helpful or
          > interesting. For a long time, oriental spiritual approaches such as
          > Da-Jern Jin do embrace all trustful and qualified fake ones for
          > everybody's critical review.
          >

          > Benedict

        • benedictlo1
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 18, 2006
            > Hi benedict,
            >
            > If you post the parallels between Thomas and GHoly12 we could
            discuss them.
            >[snip]
            > Andrew

            I am sure that I have not exhausted all the potential correlated
            materials. So let me post the first set of my problems below. Your
            and/or others' help are greatly appreciated.

            Benedict

            [ I use " xxxx " to indicate correlected text. ]
            GH12 - 88:5
            "And Jesus said, I stood in the midst of the world, and in
            the flesh was I seen and heard, and I found all men glutted with their
            own pleasures, and drunk with their own follies, and none found I
            hungry or athirst for the wisdom which is of God. My soul grieveth
            over the sons and daughters of men because they are blind in their
            heart, and in their soul are they deaf and hear not my voice."

            GTh – 28 (Greek)
            "Jesus saith: I stood in the midst of the world, and in the flesh was
            I seen of them, and I found and men drunken, and none found I athirst
            among them, and my soul grieveth over the sons of men because they are
            blind in their heart."

            ==========================
            GH12 – 27:12
            …. But a city which is built foursquare, enclosed in a circle or on
            the top of a hill, and "established on a rock, can neither fall" nor
            be hidden.

            GH12 – 39:6
            Again, the Kingdom of Heaven is like unto a City "built foursquare on
            the top of a high hill, and established on a rock, and strong in its
            surrounding wall", and its towers and its gates, which lie to the
            north, and to the south, and to the east, and to the west. Such a
            city falleth not, neither can it be hidden,…

            GTh – 32
            A city built upon the top of a hill "and fortified, can neither fall"
            nor be hidden.

            ============================
            GH12 – 13:5
            And he said: Verily I say unto you, No prophet is accepted in his own
            home or in his own country, "neither doth a physician work cures upon
            them that know him."

            GTh - 31
            Jesus said, A prophet is not … . "Nor does a physican perform healings
            for those who know him."

            ============================
            GH12 - 39:5
            Again, the Kingdom of Heaven is like unto a woman who taketh of the
            incorruptible leaven and hideth it in three measures of meal, till the
            whole is leavened, and being baked by fire, "becometh one loaf." …

            GTh - 96
            Jesus said, The Father's kingdom is like a woman. She took a ..., and
            "made it into large loaves of bread"...

            ============================
            GH12 - 19:6
            "Raise the Stone, and there thou shall find me. Cleave the wood, and
            there am I." For in the fire and in the water even as in every living
            form, God is manifest as it's Life and it's Substance.

            GTh – 30 (Greek)
            Jesus said, …, I say, I am with him. "Lift the stone and there you
            will find me. Split the wood and I am there."

            ============================
            (The following ones are not in the sense of words but in meaning)
            GH12 - 64:7
            "From the Eternal they flow, to the Eternal they return." The spirit
            to Spirit, soul to Soul, mind to Mind, sense to Sense, life to Life,
            form to Form, dust to Dust.

            GH12 - 94:2
            "As all creatures come forth from the unseen into this world, so they
            return to the unseen, and so will they come again till they be purified."

            GTh - 49
            Jesus said: Congratulations to those who are alone and chosen, for you
            will find the kingdom. "For you have come from it, and you will return
            there again."

            GTh - 77
            Jesus said: "I am the light that is over all things. I am all: from me
            all came forth, and to me all attained."
          • smithandp
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 19, 2006
              Benedict,

              The simple answer is that Ousley used the Oxyrhynchus Greek fragments
              of Thomas published by Grenfell and Hunt in 1898 and 1904. The sayings
              below that aren't in the Greek Thomas fragments have synoptic
              parallels which would have been Ouseley's source.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 19, 2006
                > Benedict,
                >
                > The simple answer is that Ousley used the Oxyrhynchus Greek fragments
                > of Thomas published by Grenfell and Hunt in 1898 and 1904. The sayings
                > below that aren't in the Greek Thomas fragments have synoptic
                > parallels which would have been Ouseley's source.
                >
                > Best Wishes
                >
                > Andrew

                Andrew:

                I believe others investigators including myself would have a similar
                answer. To be fair, we need to find the earliest version of GH12
                (1892-189?), to prove that these were not in there and junk it.

                However, personally I like several chapters made up or collected from
                somewhere in GH12. In terms of quality, some of these are much better
                than those collected in old old days by some unknown persons. But many
                missionaries from the West come, proclaim that the collection is
                nothing but the TRUTH, and push everybody to worship it.

                One major reason that I brought GThomas to Chinese people's attention
                is because its unequaled quality. In addition, its spiritual approch
                in some way is very similar to the Zen but 500 years earlier.

                Benedict