Re: Gospel of Thomas and Oriental Spiritual Approches

  • benedictlo1
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 13, 2006
      > Hi Benedict,
      > In what context is the Gospel of the Holy Twelve introduced? It's a
      > late nineteenth century fake by Rev. G. J. Ouseley.
      > Andrew Smith

      Hi Andrew:

      If the 1st edition of the Gospel of Holy 12 (GoH12) was published a
      few years earlier than the Greek fragments of GoTh unearthed, we all
      needs an explanation in why there are quite a few passages in the
      GoH12 overlapped with GoTh. I did some research including visiting the
      British Library to check it out. They said the 1st edition of the
      GoH12 was destroyed during the WWII. Judging by the contents compiled
      in the GoH12, I also feel that the GoH12 is a fake one. But some one
      must prove that it is really a fake one. Nevertheless, there are a
      few chapters (such as chapter 90 of GoH12) are worth of reading.

      Benedict
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2006
        Hi everyone,

        I thought some on this list might be interested to know that Crum's "Coptic
        Dictionary", which is currently out of print, is about to be released
        electronically by Logos Bible Software through the Libronix Digital Library
        System. Prices are:

        Suggested Retail Price $198.58 AUD (approx; $149.95 USD)
        Logos Sale Price $172.10 AUD (approx; $129.95 USD)
        Pre-Publication Special $132.37 AUD (approx; $99.95 USD)

        See http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/2529 for further details.

        Also available is Richard Smith's "A Concise Coptic-English Lexicon"

        Suggested Retail Price $26.42 AUD (approx; $19.95 USD)
        Logos Sale Price $26.42 AUD (approx; $19.95 USD)
        Pre-Publication Special $19.80 AUD (approx; $14.95 USD)

        See http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/2530

        Of course, seeing this is part of the Libronix system, you would need to
        purchase some base-level software if you don't already have it. The prices
        they are charging on the website are not cheap, but I found a base-level
        version at my local discount Christian bookshop on sale for significantly
        less than the quoted prices. Many of the books that they offer are
        theologically fairly conservative, but they also have Nag Hammadi in English
        (4th ed) for $66.00 USD, the complete 60 years of the Biblical Archaeologist
        for $109.00 USD and Semeia 1974-2002 for $49.95 USD, plus a range of
        Aramaic, Syriac and Latin resources and they are also planning to release a
        "Coptic Bible" in the near future.

        I have Nag Hammadi in English and Semeia and find them quite useful because
        there is a search facility in the software. It does, however, take a little
        while to get your mind around how the system works.

        FWIW Logos also provides a downloadable Coptic keyboard mapping for use with
        Unicode fonts and with the Logos Library system at
        http://www.logos.com/support/lbs/fonts/CopticKeyboard. I am not totally
        enthralled with the layout because some of the non-Greek characters require
        the use of the Alt key, but you get used to it after a while and I assume
        that using it would allow you to do an electronic search in Crum, although I
        haven't actually checked this out. Having perfectly good paper copies of
        both Crum and Smith, I am not sure that I want to lay out the money to buy
        the electronic versions.

        Incidentally, if I understand the site correctly, they won't ship until they
        get more pre-pub orders, so it may be a while before you get your copy.
        They post out CD-ROMs which you install and unlock on your computer.

        "Noncooperation with evil is as much a moral obligation as is cooperation
        with good" - Martin Luther King Jr

        Rev Judy Redman
        Uniting Church Chaplain
        University of New England