Re: Gospel of Thomas and Oriental Spiritual Approches

  • smithandp
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 13, 2006
      --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "benedictlo1" <benedictlo1@y...> wrote:

      > Exactly 60 years after The Gospel of Thomas was unearthed, the first
      > Chinese gThomas book, entitled "The Spiritual Analects of Jesus - The
      > Gospel of Thomas" has been published (Nov. 2005) by Lapen Press (Press
      > of Literature History and Philosophy) in Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.
      >
      > The contents of this book are:
      <snip>

      > 5. Appendices:
      > (1) Chapter 90 of the Gospel of Holy Twelve: What is Truth?

      Hi Benedict,

      In what context is the Gospel of the Holy Twelve introduced? It's a
      late nineteenth century fake by Rev. G. J. Ouseley.

      Andrew Smith
    • benedictlo1
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 13, 2006
        > Hi Benedict,
        > In what context is the Gospel of the Holy Twelve introduced? It's a
        > late nineteenth century fake by Rev. G. J. Ouseley.
        > Andrew Smith

        Hi Andrew:

        If the 1st edition of the Gospel of Holy 12 (GoH12) was published a
        few years earlier than the Greek fragments of GoTh unearthed, we all
        needs an explanation in why there are quite a few passages in the
        GoH12 overlapped with GoTh. I did some research including visiting the
        British Library to check it out. They said the 1st edition of the
        GoH12 was destroyed during the WWII. Judging by the contents compiled
        in the GoH12, I also feel that the GoH12 is a fake one. But some one
        must prove that it is really a fake one. Nevertheless, there are a
        few chapters (such as chapter 90 of GoH12) are worth of reading.

        Benedict
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 15, 2006
          Hi everyone,

          I thought some on this list might be interested to know that Crum's "Coptic
          Dictionary", which is currently out of print, is about to be released
          electronically by Logos Bible Software through the Libronix Digital Library
          System. Prices are:

          Suggested Retail Price $198.58 AUD (approx; $149.95 USD)
          Logos Sale Price $172.10 AUD (approx; $129.95 USD)
          Pre-Publication Special $132.37 AUD (approx; $99.95 USD)

          See http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/2529 for further details.

          Also available is Richard Smith's "A Concise Coptic-English Lexicon"

          Suggested Retail Price $26.42 AUD (approx; $19.95 USD)
          Logos Sale Price $26.42 AUD (approx; $19.95 USD)
          Pre-Publication Special $19.80 AUD (approx; $14.95 USD)

          See http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/2530

          Of course, seeing this is part of the Libronix system, you would need to
          purchase some base-level software if you don't already have it. The prices
          they are charging on the website are not cheap, but I found a base-level
          version at my local discount Christian bookshop on sale for significantly
          less than the quoted prices. Many of the books that they offer are
          theologically fairly conservative, but they also have Nag Hammadi in English
          (4th ed) for $66.00 USD, the complete 60 years of the Biblical Archaeologist
          for $109.00 USD and Semeia 1974-2002 for $49.95 USD, plus a range of
          Aramaic, Syriac and Latin resources and they are also planning to release a
          "Coptic Bible" in the near future.

          I have Nag Hammadi in English and Semeia and find them quite useful because
          there is a search facility in the software. It does, however, take a little
          while to get your mind around how the system works.

          FWIW Logos also provides a downloadable Coptic keyboard mapping for use with
          Unicode fonts and with the Logos Library system at
          http://www.logos.com/support/lbs/fonts/CopticKeyboard. I am not totally
          enthralled with the layout because some of the non-Greek characters require
          the use of the Alt key, but you get used to it after a while and I assume
          that using it would allow you to do an electronic search in Crum, although I
          haven't actually checked this out. Having perfectly good paper copies of
          both Crum and Smith, I am not sure that I want to lay out the money to buy
          the electronic versions.

          Incidentally, if I understand the site correctly, they won't ship until they
          get more pre-pub orders, so it may be a while before you get your copy.
          They post out CD-ROMs which you install and unlock on your computer.

          "Noncooperation with evil is as much a moral obligation as is cooperation
          with good" - Martin Luther King Jr

          Rev Judy Redman
          Uniting Church Chaplain
          University of New England