The Two Thomases

  • Loren Rosson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2005
      List members --

      The cover story of the Harper's magazine (December
      '05, pp 33-41) is of interest: "Jesus Without the
      Miracles: Thomas Jefferson's Bible and the Gospel of
      Thomas", written by Erik Reece. It compares the two
      Thomases, and mentions scholars like Patterson,
      Davies, and Pagels.

      Reece's idea is that "it was Thomas Jefferson's _Life
      and Moral of Jesus of Nazareth_ that prepared the
      Americans for what they would find in the ancient
      Gospel of Thomas", (37) even if "the intuitive
      mysticism of Thomas would have made Jefferson nervous"
      (39). Reece follows those who believe that Thomas is
      independent of the canonical gospels, and concludes,
      rather homiletically,

      "...these twin gospels suggest that it is time we
      inverted Pascal's famous wager to say not that we
      should believe in heaven because we have nothing to
      lose but rather that we should believe first in this
      world, because in losing it we may lose everything."

      Anyway, it's interesting reading.

      Loren Rosson III
      Nashua NH
      http://lorenrosson.blogspot.com/