RE: [GTh]

  • Jacob Knee
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 2, 2005
      Don't forget that T and T Clark International do a 50% scholars discount if
      you ask. Order via email and ask for the discount.

      Still expensive but not completely ridiculous.

      Best wishes,
      Jacob Knee
      (Cam, Glos.)

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 2, 2005
        Jacob,

        Thanks sooo much for this? How do I prove that I am a scholar?

      • Jacob Knee
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 2, 2005
          Asking is all you have to do - they give it to anyone who asks.

        • David Renfro
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 2, 2005
            Words like "New Traditionsgeschichtliche" don't come cheap.
            D.R.
          • Ron McCann
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 2, 2005
              At 06:02 AM 11/2/05, David R wrote:
              > Words like "New Traditionsgeschichtliche" don't come cheap.
              > D.R.

              Lol.
              I googled this lady. Seems she is an Associate Professor of Religion
              at Westleyn University specializing in ancient biblical studies.
              Seems she specializes in ancient mystical teachings both Judaic and
              otherwise. Looks like she and Wade Grenier are, at a minimum, close
              friends and members of the same Unitarian Universalist Congregation.
              The chapter synopsis seems erudite enough.
              I just hope it's not bent too far into the mystical and meditative.
              Think I'll wait for some reviews of the book, before I bite.
              Bit pricy for me.

              Ron

            • William Arnal
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 2, 2005
                Ron McCann wrote:

                >I googled this lady. Seems she is an Associate Professor of Religion
                >at Westleyn University specializing in ancient biblical studies.
                >Seems she specializes in ancient mystical teachings both Judaic and
                >otherwise. Looks like she and Wade Grenier are, at a minimum, close
                >friends and members of the same Unitarian Universalist Congregation.

                Aw, c'mon. . . . surely we don't need this kind of thing. April deConick is
                a credentialled, well-published, and ENORMOUSLY respected expert on the
                Gospel of Thomas. Looking into her religious beliefs or association with
                other individuals BEFORE reading her work and assessing her conclusions is
                inappropriate and quite beside the point. You want to research a scholar,
                look first at what they've WRITTEN, not their personal life. I wonder
                whether we'd be as quick to personalize the discussion if April weren't a
                "lady." If one wants to critique her work, it ought to be on the basis of
                the cogency (or lack thereof) of the work itself, the accuracy and strength
                of her arguments, and so forth.

                >I just hope it's not bent too far into the mystical and meditative.

                This assumes that you know in advance exactly how mystical Thomas OUGHT to
                be. Why not read the argument, assess how convincing it is, and THEN decide?

                And sorry, Ron, if these comments seem a little personal -- I don't intend
                them so much as a rebuke to you individually as a response to a *kind* of
                approach to scholarship that I am seriously bothered by.

                regards,
                Bill
                ______________________
                William Arnal
                University of Regina
              • Ron McCann
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 2, 2005
                  Bill,
                  Rebuke taken, and well deserved.
                  Whatever got into me?

                  Ron
                  At 06:17 PM 11/2/05, you wrote:

                  >Ron McCann wrote:
                  >
                  > >I googled this lady. Seems she is an Associate Professor of Religion
                  > >at Westleyn University specializing in ancient biblical studies.
                  > >Seems she specializes in ancient mystical teachings both Judaic and
                  > >otherwise. Looks like she and Wade Grenier are, at a minimum, close
                  > >friends and members of the same Unitarian Universalist Congregation.
                  >
                  >Aw, c'mon. . . . surely we don't need this kind of thing. April deConick is
                  >a credentialled, well-published, and ENORMOUSLY respected expert on the
                  >Gospel of Thomas. Looking into her religious beliefs or association with
                  >other individuals BEFORE reading her work and assessing her conclusions is
                  >inappropriate and quite beside the point. You want to research a scholar,
                  >look first at what they've WRITTEN, not their personal life. I wonder
                  >whether we'd be as quick to personalize the discussion if April weren't a
                  >"lady." If one wants to critique her work, it ought to be on the basis of
                  >the cogency (or lack thereof) of the work itself, the accuracy and strength
                  >of her arguments, and so forth.
                  >
                  > >I just hope it's not bent too far into the mystical and meditative.
                  >
                  >This assumes that you know in advance exactly how mystical Thomas OUGHT to
                  >be. Why not read the argument, assess how convincing it is, and THEN decide?
                  >
                  >And sorry, Ron, if these comments seem a little personal -- I don't intend
                  >them so much as a rebuke to you individually as a response to a *kind* of
                  >approach to scholarship that I am seriously bothered by.
                  >
                  >regards,
                  >Bill
                  >______________________
                  >William Arnal
                  >University of Regina

                • Stephen C. Carlson
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 2, 2005
                    At 02:49 PM 11/2/2005 -0600, Ron McCann wrote:
                    >Looks like she and Wade Grenier are, at a minimum, close
                    >friends

                    I believe that Wade has already said on list that he and
                    April are married. As a result, I very much appreciate
                    whatever information he can provide about her new book.

                    Stephen Carlson

                    --
                    Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 3, 2005
                      David writes:

                      > Words like "New Traditionsgeschichtliche" don't come cheap.
                      > D.R.

                      Hardcover books for a fairly specialist market like GThos don't come cheap,
                      unfortunately. I like reading hardcover books with higher quality paper,
                      rather than paperbacks with lower quality paper, but I buy my hardcovers
                      secondhand whenever I can (I love Abe Books!!) and I often decided that I'll
                      even buy paperbacks secondhand because the information is still the same.

                      I think you're damned if you do and damned if you don't in this kind of
                      field. Use words like "Traditiongeschichtliche" and you get accused of
                      being elitist, obscure etc. Write something that is going to be more
                      readily accessible to the non-specialist reader (like Elaine Pagels' "Beyond
                      Belief") and you get dismissed as writing "theology lite".

                      It's particularly difficult, as Bill suggests, if you happen to be a female
                      scholar, because if you don't use the technical terms, some people are not
                      above suggesting that this is because you don't understand them and that
                      your level of scholarship is pretty low, just like you'd expect of a woman.
                      OTOH, it is also difficult if you are an intelligent, interested 'lay
                      person' ie someone who hasn't had formal university education the field but
                      wants to get beyond "Isn't GThos cool and I just love being a gnostic" and
                      the books you want to read are sprinkled with unexplained technical terms.
                      I suspect that if more people had written theology that was accessible to
                      the intelligent layperson there wouldn't be anywhere near the problem with
                      Christian fundamentalism that I see today.

                      I've just spent half an hour trying to work out how to translate
                      "Traditionsgeschichtliche" neatly but helpfully into English (hampered by
                      having my theological German dictionary at work, admittedly) and haven't
                      come up with anything all that wonderful. I guess Tradition Critical, but I
                      have never found the term Biblical Criticism or its variants particularly
                      helpful. No matter how many times I assure myself that criticism in this
                      sense means 'careful analytical study of' rather than 'articulating in
                      minute detail how wrong something is', I still need to do a double take
                      every time I see the term.

                      I've found DeConick's other works helpful and scholarly and this table of
                      contents looks as though it will come up to the same standard.

                      " Let us forever remember that the sense for the sacred is as vital to us as
                      the light of the sun." - Abraham Joshua Heschel, 1944

                      Rev Judy Redman
                      Uniting Church Chaplain
                      University of New England
                      Armidale 2351
                      ph: +61 2 6773 3739
                      fax: +61 2 6773 3749
                      email: jredman@...

                    • David Renfro
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 3, 2005
                        I wish I'd put a Smiley Face behind that post now, ;0).
                        This is a tough crowd, y'all make the Gnostic's look like
                        Party-animals.
                        I've been anticipating this book for months and will eventually
                        come off the money for the hard cover; I like books.
                        Thanks for the attempted translation, Judy. Note, this is
                        "New" traditionsgeschichtliche; not just any traditionsgeschichtliche.
                        Was there an "Old" traditiongeschichtliche.
                        Answers.com gave me this.
                        David Renfro

                        Re: orion-list War Scroll and Cargo cults
                        P. von der Osten-Sacken, Gott und Belial: Traditiongeschichtliche Untersuchungen
                        zum Dualismus in den Texten aus Qumran (Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht: Göttingen, ...
                        orion.mscc.huji.ac.il/orion/ archives/2000b/msg00207.html

                        NT-genre
                        For the missionary speech in general see Ulrich Wilckens, Die Missionsrede der
                        Apostelgeschichte: Form- und traditiongeschichtliche Untersuchungen, 2nd ed. ...
                        www.cranfordville.com/NT-genre.htm
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 4, 2005
                          David writes:

                          > Thanks for the attempted translation, Judy. Note, this is
                          > "New" traditionsgeschichtliche; not just any
                          > traditionsgeschichtliche.
                          > Was there an "Old" traditiongeschichtliche.

                          Should this have had a smiley after it too, David? :-) The problem is that
                          I am a university chaplain - students ask me about things and I try to find
                          answers for them. And much of the thinking around this will be of use when
                          I write the methodology chapter of my thesis. :-)

                          In case it shouldn't have had a smiley, looking at the list of sections
                          under the heading "New" Traditionsgeschichtliche Approach

                          1.1 The Historical Contexture of Traditions
                          1.2 The Referential Horizon of Traditions
                          1.3 The Communal Nature of Traditions
                          1.4 The Responsive Nature of Traditions
                          1.5 The Shift of Traditions
                          1.6 Streams of Traditions
                          1.7 Transmission of Traditions

                          it seems likely that DeConick is proposing that there are some particular
                          things that need to be taken into account in Traditionsgeschichte that
                          haven't been looked at so intentionally in the past. I have no memory of
                          seeing a list of things that need to be considered that included all these
                          things. I'm used to much more general statements such as "Tradition
                          criticism (including form criticism) studies how information was passed from
                          one generation to another before it was put in its present form. ...
                          Tradition criticism attempts to trace the stages by which these traditions
                          were handed down, the forms they took at those various stages, and the forms
                          in which they reached the people who committed them to writing."
                          (http://www.shakinandshinin.org/BiblicalCriticism.html) So perhaps the new
                          approach is a more structured and intentional one.

                          We will have to wait until we get copies of the book and see.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 4, 2005
                            Judy,
                            I ran across a "cool" word recently that seems appropriate to
                            the topic; "Euhemerist", (in fact I was called one). Check it out, if
                            you don't already know it.
                            I like it when a single word covers so much ground.
                            Dave Renfro
                          • rhubbard@midmaine.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 4, 2005
                              Hi all!

                              By now the question about the translation of traditiongeschichtliche /
                              traditiongeschichte has probably been settled to everyones satisfaction.
                              Nevertheless, I¡¦ll call everyone¡¦s attention to a nifty little book
                              called the Hand Book of Biblical Criticisim, bt Richard N. Soulen
                              (Atlanta: John Knox, 1976). I¡¦m almost sure it is out of print but it has
                              a wealth of defintions about obscure words like traditiongeschichtliche,
                              uberlirferungsgeschicte, and variations thereon.

                              Here¡¦s a quick test, by the way, on terms defined in the dictionary and
                              which presumably any one engaged in historical-critical research should
                              know ļ:

                              Lasterkatalog/Tugendkatalog
                              Naturweisheit
                              Prostaxis
                              Sich realisierende Eschatologie
                              Homoioarchton

                              Rick Hubbard
                              Humble Maine Woodsman
                            • David Renfro

                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 5, 2005
                                  I think the there is a third edition now in print:

                                  Handbook of Biblical Criticism (3rd Edition/Revised & Expanded)

                                  by Richard N. Soulen, R. Kendall Soulen

                                  Richard Soulen and R. Kendall Soulen have thoroughly revised this
                                  comprehensive guide to the basic terms and concepts of biblical criticism.
                                  Integrating the newest methods and theories of biblical studies, this third
                                  edition contains over 800 terms, phrases, names, explanations of common
                                  abbreviations, notes on major methodologies and exegetical basics,
                                  biographical sketches of key figures in the history of research, analytical
                                  outlines of fundamental critical problems, a list of bibliographic tools,
                                  plus an invaluable Diagram of Biblical Interpretation. Everything a student
                                  needs for a class in biblical interpretation. Richard N. Soulen is a retired
                                  Methodist minister and professor of New Testament at the School of Theology,
                                  Virginia Union University. He is also the editor of Care for the Dying:
                                  Resources of Theology. R. Kendall Soulen is Professor of Systematic Theology
                                  at Wesley Theological Seminary. His publications include The God of Israel
                                  and Christian Theology (Fortress, 1996).

                                  https://www.ppcbooks.com/Details.asp?BookID=0664223141

                                  Best wishes,
                                  Jacob