Re: [GTh] Coptic keyboard layout

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
      I agree with you, Judy, that small case is probably the way to go.

      Also, I have discovered that someone (Logos) has beaten you to the
      punch on creating the Coptic keyboard:

      http://www.logos.com/support/lbs/fonts/CopticKeyboard

      It's easy to install and works fantastic (and it's mapped as I like it).

      Mike, you can type unicode characters manually in Word by typing the
      unicode value and then pressing alt+x. Or you can install the above
      keyboard and you'll be able to see that font.
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
        Andrew,

        I am aware of the Logos keyboard, but there are things about it that I don't
        like. The most problematic from my perspective is that there are letters of
        the alphabet that can only be typed by holding down the right Alt key or
        doing a Ctrl+Alt. These keys are tee, fai, horee, cheema and (less
        importantly for me because it only seems to appear in Bohairic) khai. For
        some odd reason, it also has shai, tee and cheema mapped to different keys
        in different states. Given how often fai and horee in particular are used
        in Coptic, not being able to type them with a single keystroke is a right
        pain in the neck.

        It would be nice if we could actually negotiate a standard and stick with
        it. :-)

        " Let us forever remember that the sense for the sacred is as vital to us as
        the light of the sun." - Abraham Joshua Heschel, 1944

        Rev Judy Redman
        Uniting Church Chaplain
        University of New England
        Armidale 2351