RE: [GTh] Coptic keyboard layout

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005

      This is one of the issues we are trying to straighten out. I think the
      lower case ones, actually, because I don't think there is a unicode
      character that can be mapped to put a line over the uppercase ones.

      Mike's comment makes me realise that it probably won't be possible to have
      the shifted keys as characters with strokes over them - there are no unicode
      characters for them, so we will need to type the stroke separately. However
      Alec, who is doing the technical stuff, indicated that it is actually
      possible to get the Unicode standard changed to add characters that you need
      - just a bit time consuming. :-)

      Judy
    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
        I agree with you, Judy, that small case is probably the way to go.

        Also, I have discovered that someone (Logos) has beaten you to the
        punch on creating the Coptic keyboard:

        http://www.logos.com/support/lbs/fonts/CopticKeyboard

        It's easy to install and works fantastic (and it's mapped as I like it).

        Mike, you can type unicode characters manually in Word by typing the
        unicode value and then pressing alt+x. Or you can install the above
        keyboard and you'll be able to see that font.
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
          Andrew,

          I am aware of the Logos keyboard, but there are things about it that I don't
          like. The most problematic from my perspective is that there are letters of
          the alphabet that can only be typed by holding down the right Alt key or
          doing a Ctrl+Alt. These keys are tee, fai, horee, cheema and (less
          importantly for me because it only seems to appear in Bohairic) khai. For
          some odd reason, it also has shai, tee and cheema mapped to different keys
          in different states. Given how often fai and horee in particular are used
          in Coptic, not being able to type them with a single keystroke is a right
          pain in the neck.

          It would be nice if we could actually negotiate a standard and stick with
          it. :-)

          " Let us forever remember that the sense for the sacred is as vital to us as
          the light of the sun." - Abraham Joshua Heschel, 1944

          Rev Judy Redman
          Uniting Church Chaplain
          University of New England
          Armidale 2351