Re: [GTh] Coptic keyboard layout

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
      > What we're working on is a a keyboard layout you can install on your
      > computer to map the Coptic fonts to actual keys, rather than trying
      > remember the Unicode codes for them.

      That will be extremely useful.

      I have a question about the unicode coptic. If I were to do a
      transcription of one of the Nag Hammadi texts, am I supposed to use
      the upper or lower case Coptic characters? They both look the same,
      but have different sizes.
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005

        This is one of the issues we are trying to straighten out. I think the
        lower case ones, actually, because I don't think there is a unicode
        character that can be mapped to put a line over the uppercase ones.

        Mike's comment makes me realise that it probably won't be possible to have
        the shifted keys as characters with strokes over them - there are no unicode
        characters for them, so we will need to type the stroke separately. However
        Alec, who is doing the technical stuff, indicated that it is actually
        possible to get the Unicode standard changed to add characters that you need
        - just a bit time consuming. :-)

        Judy
      • Andrew
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
          I agree with you, Judy, that small case is probably the way to go.

          Also, I have discovered that someone (Logos) has beaten you to the
          punch on creating the Coptic keyboard:

          http://www.logos.com/support/lbs/fonts/CopticKeyboard

          It's easy to install and works fantastic (and it's mapped as I like it).

          Mike, you can type unicode characters manually in Word by typing the
          unicode value and then pressing alt+x. Or you can install the above
          keyboard and you'll be able to see that font.
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
            Andrew,

            I am aware of the Logos keyboard, but there are things about it that I don't
            like. The most problematic from my perspective is that there are letters of
            the alphabet that can only be typed by holding down the right Alt key or
            doing a Ctrl+Alt. These keys are tee, fai, horee, cheema and (less
            importantly for me because it only seems to appear in Bohairic) khai. For
            some odd reason, it also has shai, tee and cheema mapped to different keys
            in different states. Given how often fai and horee in particular are used
            in Coptic, not being able to type them with a single keystroke is a right
            pain in the neck.

            It would be nice if we could actually negotiate a standard and stick with
            it. :-)

            " Let us forever remember that the sense for the sacred is as vital to us as
            the light of the sun." - Abraham Joshua Heschel, 1944

            Rev Judy Redman
            Uniting Church Chaplain
            University of New England
            Armidale 2351