Re: [GTh] Re: Coptic keyboard layout

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 11, 2005
      [Andrew B]:
      > If I type a sigma with the "s" key in a Greek font, why should I have to
      > use the "c" key to type it with my Coptic font. This doesn't seem very
      > intuitive to me. I'd likely find it so annoying that I'd want to discard
      > the system altogether.

      Hi Andrew,

      In case I didn't make it clear in my note, which I wrote before receiving
      yours, I fully agree that sigma should be the 'S' key on any mapping. What I
      was remarking on was that in many uncial NT mss (as well as the NH books),
      the sigma closely resembles 'C', and I think it's a shame to lose that
      entirely. As it turns out, though, there's a ready solution. Since the
      lower-case sigma has two forms (one for final sigma), there would naturally
      have to be two keys for it. Why not use the uppercase of the second key for
      the alternate uppercase form of sigma?

      Mike
    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 11, 2005
        Mike and Judy,

        My further thoughts.

        > Why not use the uppercase of the second key for the alternate
        uppercase form of sigma?

        An interesting suggestion, but I don't think unicode is prepared for
        this scenario. Does unicode have an assigned character value for
        both a lunate and linear upper case form of sigma? I think it just
        has one value established for lower case sigma, one for upper case
        sigma, and one for final sigma.

        > ... which raises a question, since it shows two different keyboard
        mappings for Greek Polytonic - one by Microsoft, on
        (called 'Keyman') by a private individual.

        There are more than just two keyboard mappings for Greek Polytonic,
        but any keyboard map that assigns theta to "u" is retarded. I'll be
        more clear on the mapping I would personally prefer. It is primarily
        phonetic, but assigns eta, theta, psi, and omega to key for
        different reasons.

        1.alpha: a
        2.beta: b
        3.gamma: g
        4.delta: d
        5.epsilon: e
        6.zeta: z
        7.eta: h (uncial looks like capital H)
        8.theta: q (it's as good as anything)
        9.iota: i
        10.kappa: k
        11.lambda: l
        12.mu: m
        13.nu: n
        14.csi: x
        15.omnicron: o
        16.pi: p
        17.rho: r
        18.sigma: s
        19.tau: t
        20.upsilon: u
        21.phi: f
        22.chi: c (hard sound)
        23.psi (it's as good as anything)
        24.omega: w (uncial looks like lower case w)

        I really would be unhappy if any of the 20 purely phonetically
        assigned characters were altered in a keyboard map. Eta and omega,
        while not phonetically assigned, are pretty intuitive given their
        resemblences to English characters. Q for theta I think has become
        pretty standard. Y for psi is what I'm used to, at least.

        Of the alphabetic keys, that leaves just j and v unassigned. I think
        final sigma is usually assigned to j and v is left unassigned.

        My personal preference for Sahidic Coptic is to assign shai to 1,
        fai to 2, hori to 3, janjia to 4, chima to 5, ti to 6. There really
        aren't enough English letter keys to accomodate them on the keyboard
        and numbering them in this order I could always remember what the
        keys corresponded to. I am curious how these have been assigned in
        the SBL's draft keyboard map.

        Andrew