Re: [GTh] Coptic keyboard layout

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
      > Are people on this list familiar with the Greek Polytonic keyboard layout?

      Hi Judy,

      Personally, I wasn't, so I did some googling. Happened onto ...

      http://www.biblicalgreek.org/links/fonts/keyboard.html

      ... which raises a question, since it shows two different keyboard mappings
      for Greek Polytonic - one by Microsoft, one (called 'Keyman') by a private
      individual. Thing is, the Keyman mapping may be closer to conventional Greek
      transliteration schemes; in fact, the above site has some complimentary
      things to say about that mapping. Theta, for example, is mapped to 'Q' in
      Keyman, but to 'U' in the MS mapping. So when you speak of "the" keyboard
      mapping for Greek Polytonic, should one assume that you're speaking of the
      MS mapping and that no others are under consideration?

      > And, incidentally, does anyone here use uppercase and lowercase in Coptic?
      > The unicode font with which we are working (New Athena) has both, but I
      > wasn't aware that uppercase was ever used. The characters look the same,
      > except for one that only occurs in Bohairic - they're just bigger.

      In the Coptic font that I use, uppercase is the same letter as lowercase,
      except with an overstroke. This is a nice user-friendly feature for Coptic,
      but I don't see how that feature can survive when the Greek lowercase
      letters are mapped onto the same keyboard. Alas, I guess I'll have to get
      used to a separate overstroke character. As to New Athena and unicode, I've
      installed the font, now have to figure out how to switch the keyboard to
      type unicode, so I can see what the New Athena Greek letters look like. Too
      bad we're gonna lose some resemblence to the original uncial manuscripts
      (both NH and NT), such as the 'C' for sigma.

      > And anyone who would like to be involved more directly would be welcome.

      I wouldn't mind helping out on this.

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
        Mike writes:

        > As to New Athena and
        > unicode, I've
        > installed the font, now have to figure out how to switch the
        > keyboard to
        > type unicode, so I can see what the New Athena Greek letters
        > look like. Too
        > bad we're gonna lose some resemblence to the original uncial
        > manuscripts
        > (both NH and NT), such as the 'C' for sigma.

        What we're working on is a a keyboard layout you can install on your
        computer to map the Coptic fonts to actual keys, rather than trying to
        remember the Unicode codes for them.

        So, when you want to type Coptic, you simply switch keyboards by clicking an
        icon in your task bar and you hit a letter and it comes out as a Coptic
        character. When you want to type Greek, you switch keyboards again and the
        same letter will come out in Greek, so in theory it would be possible to map
        the Coptic keyboard so that the shifted characters have the stroke above
        them and the unshifted don't and the Greek keyboard so that there are the
        appropriate upper and lower case keys.

        Judy
      • Andrew
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
          > What we're working on is a a keyboard layout you can install on your
          > computer to map the Coptic fonts to actual keys, rather than trying
          > remember the Unicode codes for them.

          That will be extremely useful.

          I have a question about the unicode coptic. If I were to do a
          transcription of one of the Nag Hammadi texts, am I supposed to use
          the upper or lower case Coptic characters? They both look the same,
          but have different sizes.
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005

            This is one of the issues we are trying to straighten out. I think the
            lower case ones, actually, because I don't think there is a unicode
            character that can be mapped to put a line over the uppercase ones.

            Mike's comment makes me realise that it probably won't be possible to have
            the shifted keys as characters with strokes over them - there are no unicode
            characters for them, so we will need to type the stroke separately. However
            Alec, who is doing the technical stuff, indicated that it is actually
            possible to get the Unicode standard changed to add characters that you need
            - just a bit time consuming. :-)

            Judy
          • Andrew
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
              I agree with you, Judy, that small case is probably the way to go.

              Also, I have discovered that someone (Logos) has beaten you to the
              punch on creating the Coptic keyboard:

              http://www.logos.com/support/lbs/fonts/CopticKeyboard

              It's easy to install and works fantastic (and it's mapped as I like it).

              Mike, you can type unicode characters manually in Word by typing the
              unicode value and then pressing alt+x. Or you can install the above
              keyboard and you'll be able to see that font.
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
                Andrew,

                I am aware of the Logos keyboard, but there are things about it that I don't
                like. The most problematic from my perspective is that there are letters of
                the alphabet that can only be typed by holding down the right Alt key or
                doing a Ctrl+Alt. These keys are tee, fai, horee, cheema and (less
                importantly for me because it only seems to appear in Bohairic) khai. For
                some odd reason, it also has shai, tee and cheema mapped to different keys
                in different states. Given how often fai and horee in particular are used
                in Coptic, not being able to type them with a single keystroke is a right
                pain in the neck.

                It would be nice if we could actually negotiate a standard and stick with
                it. :-)

                " Let us forever remember that the sense for the sacred is as vital to us as
                the light of the sun." - Abraham Joshua Heschel, 1944

                Rev Judy Redman
                Uniting Church Chaplain
                University of New England
                Armidale 2351