Re: [GTh] Casting Pearls

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2005
      > Mike, how exactly do you translate the passage? [Loren]

      "The pearl, should it be cast down into the mud,
      does not become more contemptible.
      Nor if it should be annointed in balsam oil
      would it become [more?] valuable.
      Rather, it has value before its lord at all times."

      Thinking it over now, I can see how it might be 'greatly contemptible'
      instead of 'more contemptible'. But there is definitely a 'not' there.

      Mike
    • KG Cook
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 20, 2005
        One wonders how the saying could be further interpreted when one
        considers that a "pearl" could be construed as a testament/treatise
        from a female member to those of the "unclean" caste of married
        Jews, women, and Gentiles?

        [K.G. Cook]