Re: [GTh] Casting Pearls

  • Loren Rosson
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2005
      Mike wrote:

      > As the passage is translated in NHL, it reads:
      >
      > "When the pearl is cast down into the mud, it
      > becomes greatly despised, nor if it is
      > anointed with balsam oil will it become
      > more precious. But it always has value in the eyes
      > of its owner. Compare the Sons of God,
      > wherever they may be. They still have value
      > in the eyes of their father." (NHL, p.147)
      >
      > My own reading of the Coptic is somewhat different,
      > and I think makes more sense. Whereas the NHL
      > translation says that a pearl
      > cast into the mud becomes despised, my reading is
      > that it does NOT become MORE despised.

      Mike, how exactly do you translate the passage?

      Loren Rosson III
      Nashua NH
      http://lorenrosson.blogspot.com/

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8, 2005
        > Mike, how exactly do you translate the passage? [Loren]

        "The pearl, should it be cast down into the mud,
        does not become more contemptible.
        Nor if it should be annointed in balsam oil
        would it become [more?] valuable.
        Rather, it has value before its lord at all times."

        Thinking it over now, I can see how it might be 'greatly contemptible'
        instead of 'more contemptible'. But there is definitely a 'not' there.

        Mike
      • KG Cook
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 20, 2005
          One wonders how the saying could be further interpreted when one
          considers that a "pearl" could be construed as a testament/treatise
          from a female member to those of the "unclean" caste of married
          Jews, women, and Gentiles?

          [K.G. Cook]