Re: [GTh] Strange math

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2005
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "David Renfro" <brain32771@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 9:11 PM
      Subject: [GTh] Strange math

      > Th.# 9: it yielded sixty per measure and one hundred twenty per
      measure.
      > Th.# 23: one from a thousand and two from ten thousand

      FWIW 'one from a thousand and two from ten thousand' has a
      number of early close parallels.

      Pistis Sophia chapter 134
      The Saviour answered and said to Mary 'I tell you they will find
      one in a thousand and two in ten thousand.......'

      Irenaeus 'Against Heresies' Book 1 chapter 24 (about Basilides)
      However the multitude cannot understand these things but one out
      of a thousand and two out of ten thousand.

      a similar claim about Basilides is found in the Panarion of Epiphanius.

      Andrew Criddle