RE: [GTh] Versions in the Coptic CD - trying again

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 17, 2005
      Hi everyone,

      This arrived back in my inbox with very poor formatting - it didn't look
      like this when it left my computer. So I am trying again.

      > Several weeks ago, Andrew B asked about the versions of the
      > Coptic text of the New Testament that are found on the CD
      > available from the St Shenouda Coptic Society. I now have my
      > copy and it provides that information in great detail. Maybe
      > more information than you actually wanted, Andrew - but you
      > can print from .pdf files side-by-side Bohairic/Sahidic;
      > Bohairic/Greek; Sahidic/Greek; Bohairic/KJV; Sahidic/KJV and
      > Greek/KJV for all books of the NT, with Matthew also
      > available in Middle Egyptian and John available in
      > Lycropolitan and Old Bohairic.

      Judy

      The Gospels

      Source:

      Bohairic Text: Oxford Bodleian Library, Ms Huntington 17, 1174 AD, paper, 20
      lines. Exceptions from the margin readings of the manuscript:

      Mt 10:42

      Mt 13:43

      Mt 17:21

      Mk 6:37

      Mk 7:16

      Mk 11:26

      Mk 15:28

      Lk 4:17

      Lk 14:27

      Lk 22:43

      Lk 22:44

      Lk 23:17

      Lk 23:34

      Lk 23:38

      Jn 14:19

      English Text: King James Version, 1611 AD

      Greek Text: Nestle-Aland 26th edition

      Lycopolitan Text: Cambridge University Library, British Foreign Bible
      Society Ms. ???, 4th century AD, papyrus, 2 columns

      Middle Egyptian Text: New Jersey, Princeton University, Codex Scheide, 4-5th
      Century AD, parchment. (St. Matthew only)

      Old Bohairic Text: Geneva Bodmer Library Ms. III, 4th century AD, papyrus

      Sahidic Text:

      1. St. Matthew: New York Pierpont Morgan Library, M569, 8-9th Century AD,
      parchment, 1-col.

      2. St. Mark: Barcelona P.Palau Rib. Inv. -Nr.182, 5th century AD, parchment,
      2- columns.

      3. St. Luke: Barcelona P.Palau Rib. Inv. -Nr.181, 5th century AD, parchment,
      2- columns.

      4. St. John: Barcelona P.Palau Rib. Inv. -Nr.183, 5th century AD, parchment,
      2- columns.

      Edition:

      Bohairic Text: Horner, the Coptic Version of the New Testament in the
      Northern Dialect, Oxford 1898-1905. v.1 (Matthew-Mark), v.2 (Luke-John)

      English Text: Online Bible version 6.0 KJV-module, electronic version.

      Greek Text: CCAT Greek New Testament electronic version.

      Lycopolitan Text: Thompson, The Gospel of St. John According to the Earliest
      Coptic Manuscript, London 1924. (St. John only)

      Middle Egyptian Text: Schenke, Das Matthaus-Evangelium im Mittelägyptischen
      Dialekt des Koptischen (Codex Scheide), Berlin, 1981. (St. Matthew only)

      Old Bohairic Text: Kasser, Papyrus Bodmer III. Evangile de Jean et Genese
      I-IV,2 en Bohairique. Louvain CSCO T.177 Script. Copt. T. 25 (Text), CSCO
      T.178 Script. Copt. T.26 (French Translation). (St. John only)

      Sahidic Text:

      1. St. Matthew: Perez, G. A., El evangelio di San Matteo en Copto Sahidico,
      Madrid 1984.

      2. St. Mark: Quecke, Das Markusevangelium Saidisch, Barcelona 1972.

      3. St. Luke: Quecke, Das Lukasevangelium Saidisch, Barcelona 1977.

      4. St. John: Quecke, Das Johannesevangelium Saidisch, Barcelona 1984.

      Method of editing:

      Bohairic Text: Same text as the printed edition with italicized additions
      from other manuscripts. The pointing system was revised to make the text
      more understandable grammatically

      English Text: Same as the electronic edition

      Greek Text: Same as the electronic edition, except for changing the notation
      of the verse numbers to match the parallel text.

      Middle Egyptian Text: Same as the printed edition

      Lycopolitan Text: Same as the printed edition.

      Old Bohairic Text: Same as the printed edition.

      Sahidic Text: Same text as the printed edition with the pointing system was
      revised to make the text more uniform

      The Pauline Epistles

      Source:

      Bohairic Text: London British Library, OR.424, 1307 AD, paper Exception from
      Paris National Library Copte 65, 1609 AD, paper:

      Rm 16:24

      2Tes 1:2

      English Text: King James Version, 1611 AD

      Greek Text: Nestle-Aland 26th edition

      Sahidic Text: Dublin, Chester Beatty Library Ms A., 600 AD, parchment

      Edition:

      Bohairic Text: Horner, The Coptic Version of the New Testament in the
      Northern Dialect, Oxford 1898-1905. v.3

      English Text: Online Bible version 6.0 KJV-module, electronic version.

      Greek Text: CCAT Greek New Testament electronic version.

      Sahidic Text: Thompson, H., The Coptic Version of the Acts of the Apostles
      and the Pauline Epistles in the Sahidic Dialect, Cambridge 1932

      Method of editing:

      Bohairic Text: Same text as the printed edition with italicized edition from
      other manuscripts. The pointing system was revised to make the text more
      understandable grammatically

      English Text: Same as the electronic edition

      Greek Text: Same as the electronic edition, except for changing the notation
      of the verse numbers to match the parallel text.

      Sahidic Text: Same text as the printed edition with the pointing system was
      revised to make the text more uniform

      The Catholic Epistles

      Source:

      Bohairic Text: London British Library, OR.424, 1307 AD, paper

      English Text: King James Version, 1611 AD

      Greek Text: Nestle-Aland 26th edition

      Sahidic Text: New York Pierpont Morgan Library, M572, 9th Century AD,
      parchment

      Edition:

      Bohairic Text: Horner, The Coptic Version of the New Testament in the
      Northern Dialect, Oxford 1898-1905. v.4

      English Text: Online Bible version 6.0 KJV-module, electronic version.

      Greek Text: CCAT Greek New Testament electronic version.

      Sahidic Text: Schussler, Die Katholischen Briefe in der Koptischen
      (Sahidischen) Version, CSCO T.528, Script. Copt. T.45, Louvain 1991

      Method of editing:

      Bohairic Text: Same text as the printed edition with italicized edition from
      other manuscripts. The pointing system was revised to make the text more
      understandable grammatically

      English Text: Same as the electronic edition

      Greek Text: Same as the electronic edition, except for changing the notation
      of the verse numbers to match the parallel text.

      Sahidic Text: This is a hybrid text incorporating the different manuscripts
      used in the edition with the pointing system revised to make the text more
      uniform

      The Acts of the Apostles

      Source:

      Bohairic Text: London British Library, OR.424, 1307 AD, paper Exception from
      the manuscript margin readings(?):

      1:11

      15:34

      Sahidic Text: Dublin, Chester Beatty Library Ms B., 600 AD, parchment

[...]

      Revelation

      Source:

      Bohairic Text: London British Library, OR.8773 (Curzon 128), 1320 AD, paper
      Exception:

      9:15

      English Text: King James Version, 1611 AD

      Greek Text: Nestle-Aland 26th edition

      Sahidic Text: London, British Library, OR.6803, 12th century AD, paper
      Exception:

      1:1-8a missing

      22:15-21 (a Berlin MS)

      Edition:

      Bohairic Text: Horner, The Coptic Version of the New Testament in the
      Northern Dialect, Oxford 1898-1905. v.4

      English Text: Online Bible version 6.0 KJV-module, electronic version.

      Greek Text: CCAT Greek New Testament electronic version.

      Sahidic Text: Budge, Coptic Biblical Texts in the Dialect of Upper Egypt,
      London 1912. First 8-1/2 verses missing, last 7 verses supplied from
      Goussen, Studia Theologica, Leipzig 1895.

      --
      " Let us forever remember that the sense for the sacred is as vital to us as
      the light of the sun." - Abraham Joshua Heschel, 1944

      Rev Judy Redman
      Uniting Church Chaplain
      University of New England
      Armidale 2351