Re: [GTh] Acts of Thomas

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2005
      From: "Andrew" <abernhar@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 6:50 PM
      Subject: [GTh] Acts of Thomas

      > I've noticed in recent days some mention of another Thomas text, The
      > Acts of Thomas. Can somebody tell me if there is a good critical
      > edition of this text available (Greek with English translation).
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Andrew

      You could try A F J Klijn 'The Acts of Thomas: Introduction, Text,
      Commentary. Leiden 1962 (Supplement to Novum Testamentum 5)

      Although I'm not sure which of the original languages it covers.

      (The problem with the Acts of Thomas is that it was probably
      originally written in Syriac but the Greek text is generally thought
      to be usually closer to the original than the surviving Syriac
      manuscripts which have been edited in the interests of later
      Orthodoxy. )

      Andrew Criddle
    • Dexter Garnier
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 13, 2005
        There's an RBL review of the most recent edition
        (Leiden: Brill 2003. ISBN 9004129375) at:

        http://www.bookreviews.org/pdf/4676_4786.pdf

        Dexter Garnier