FW: [GTh] Commentaries

  • Jacob Knee
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2005
      There's always been some breadth in the commentary genre - from the
      aspiration to completeness that you find especially in recent ICC,
      Hermeneia, Anchor Bible volumes (though not necessarily in earlier ones) to
      the more introductory Pelican New Testament Commentaries (not sure what they
      were published under in USA), or Black's New Testament Commentary series,
      some of the TPI New Testament Commentaries or the books in the
      Interpretation commentary series.

      Relatively recently commentaries (and whole commentary series) have begun to
      set other goals than the search for the 'original meaning' (eg the new
      Blackwell Commentary series focuses on reception history - which traditional
      commentaries often completely ignored). Valantasis falls within a commentary
      series that is explicitly 'non-traditional'. 'Traditional' commentaries have
      often been poor at reading the text as a theological whole. Valantasis
      attempts to do that. I do think Mike is right that the context Valantasis
      finds for this reading of the whole is early christian asceticism (orthodox
      or not). I found it thought provoking and suggestive. Worthy of reading and
      IMO purchase.

      Best wishes,
      Jacob Knee
      (Cam, Glos.)