Skip to search.

RE: [GTh] Commentaries

    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 5, 2005
      Judy asked:

      I have another question. If you had to select only one or two commentaries
      on the Gospel of Thomas, which would you choose and why? Or, if you don't
      like that kind of limitation - what do you see as the strengths and
      weaknesses of the various commentaries with which you are familiar?

      Since no one else has responded to your question I'll offer this:

      There are no commentaries on the Gospel of Thomas that deserve
      recommendation.

      While multitudes of well written monographs have been published by competent
      scholars, there are no works that even deserve to be called "commentaries."

      I've heard, though, that Bill Arnal is working on one for the Fortress Press
      Hermeneia series. When that's complete, it will no doubt "fill the Bill."

      Rick Hubbard
      Humble Maine Woodsman
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 11, 2005
        Andrew Wrote:] (about Crum's Coptic Dictionary)

        I might be interested in reprinting it if it's in the public domain,
        though a book of 950 pages or so is difficult to produce.

        This would be an admirable undertaking, especially if you could create it in
        PDF format. The online version is immensely helpful, but navigating in it
        from page to page is a certified pain in the butt. Also, have you noticed
        that the bottom of some pages has been chopped off?

        Rick Hubbard
        Humble Maine Woodsman