Body vs Flesh

  • jmgcormier
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2005
      I wonder if some of the Coptic translator members of the group could
      clarify the distinction between the Coptic word for "flesh" and the
      Coptic word for "body" for me.

      Clearly, in English, the two words are interchangeable. In fact Oxford
      defines "flesh" as "body". Although different words are used in Coptic
      (as in English) for the two, is it as likely in Coptic that the two
      words are interchangeable (or does the redactor of Thomas have
      separate meanings for the two words), and if so, why would he not
      simply stick to one of the two words in T 112, 29, 80 etc.

      If the two words can have different meanings (contrary to the
      English), then could it be that in logion 87 ... "Wretched is the body
      that is dependant on a body ..." that the English translation becomes
      non-sensical ... and that the true translation might really
      be ... "Wretched is the body that is dependant upon the flesh" or
      conversely ... "Wretched is the flesh that is dependant upon the body".

      After all, if in Coptic the word "body" can only mean "body" (and
      not "flesh", then the last sentence of logion 87 leaves us wanting
      since we now have to explain what the author of Thomas means by "these
      two". In other words, do we have "two" bodies in the eyes of Jesus, or
      does the word "two" thus refer to body and flesh ... both of which
      have different meanings ?

      Maurice