[gthomas] Re: Thom. 36 (P Oxy) (was: re: Matthean influence on 39)

  • Sytze van der Laan
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 1999
      Mark Goodacre wrote:
      >I would be interested to hear more from Sytze about how certain he feels it
      >is that we should read OU CAINEI in P. Oxy 655 and not AUCANEI?

      The photograph of POxy 655 in the 1904 edition is extremely hard to read,
      but it is seems pretty certain to me that all that remains of lines 9-10 is:

      NWN ATI[---]UCA[
      NEI OUDE N[---]EI.[

      I render this on purpose with [---] instead of [...], because it is
      difficult to tell how many letters are missing due to the big gap that
      seperates the fragments (a) and (b) of POxy 655. Fitzmyer thus is able to
      reconstruct "ATI[NA A]UCANEI" from the verb "AUCANEIN", whereas Kraft uses
      "CAINEIN" and is able to fit "ATI[NA O]UCANEI". This was already proposed by
      Bartlet (1905), Taylor (1906) and Michelsen (1909).

      Wee intermezzo: Michelsen stated already in 1909(!) that "one cannot escape
      the impression that the author of the Greek fragments wanted to inform his
      readers about the origin of his 'Logia Iesou', and in the knowledge of an
      'evangelium secundum Thomam' circulating among early Christian communities,
      it is hardly to be doubted that the author is referring to this gospel as
      the source he took his sayings from" (paraphrase mine). Garitte also pointed
      out that most scholars have overlooked Michelsen's thesis, since it was
      published in the Dutch language, cf. G. Garitte, Les "logoi" d'Oxyrhynque et
      l'apocryphe copte dit "évangile de Thomas", Le Muséon 73, 1960, 152. The
      French language of Garitte's publication may have had a similar effect on
      contemporary scholars, since Garitte's remarks on Michelsen's thesis also
      still seem to go unnoticed ;-)

      Apart from the fragmentary textual evidence of POxy 655, there are other
      good reasons to reconstruct "ATI[NA O]UCANEI". Milne and Skeat found in
      1938, using ultra-violet rays, that the letters in Mt 6:28 "OU CENOUSIN"
      (=CAINOUSIN) were erased and corrected as "AUCANOUSIN" in the Codex
      Sinaiticus. The rare verb "CAINEIN" is a 'harder reading', which should
      weigh extra for our decision of POxy 655's reconstruction. As terminus
      technicus for wool preparation it is even more interesting to opt for this
      reading. On top of that, the translation, for example in Fitzmyer, doesn't
      make sense: "[You] are [far] better than [the lil]ies whi[ch gr]ow but do
      not s[pi]n, a[nd] have n[o] clo[th]ing." Unitelligible Greek as well as

      I think Robinson & Heil have a point when they state that the correction
      from "CAINEIN" to "AUCANEIN" in Sinaiticus must have happened at the written
      stage of transmission, and in Greek. There's a good chance it was
      editorially 'corrupted', something that apparently didn't happen to POxy
      655. We actually don't know what happened to the fragments of POxy 655. Were
      they dumped near the cemetery, like POxy 1? Were they scribal exercises or,
      more likely, did they come from an codex (multiple columns)? All I can think
      of is that this could be exciting textual evidence that POxy 655 and the
      original Sinaiticus were in touch with some parallel tradition. Until they
      find a scrap of Q, I'm happy to settle just with the idea that POxy 655 may
      be less peripheral and more part of mainstream transmission of Jesus sayings
      than often is assumed..

      - Sytze

      Gospel of Thomas Bibliography @ http://huizen.dds.nl/~skirl/