Re: [GTh] Gnostic redaction or Maybe a Clue to the real Author ?

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 2 , May 24, 2005
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "David Arbuckle" <ossobuccoman@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 7:07 PM
      Subject: [GTh] Gnostic redaction or Maybe a Clue to the real Author ?

      > Hello,
      > My name is Dave Arbuckle, I am new to the group and I
      > have a question about Gnostic redactions in the Gospel
      > of Thomas. I am of the thinking that Thomas is not
      > gnostic, and have wondered about the quote concerning
      > the disciples being led by James, and Heaven and Earth
      > comming into being for his sake. I wonder if this is a
      > redact as a way for the gnostics (who obviously had
      > the text last) to show that they recognized James as
      > the leader of the church, and were trying to counter
      > the forces of the Orthodox that had adopted Peter as
      > their leader, or is it possible that James is infact
      > the Author and is doing a little self promotion.

      IMO the reference to James in saying 12 is not Gnostic but
      Jewish-Christian. Whether or not it is part of the earliest core of
      Thomas it is unlikely to be a late addition.

      A better candidate for an anti-Petrine late addition IMO would be
      saying 13 where Matthew and Simon Peter are not worthy of the
      special revelation given by Jesus to Thomas.

      Andrew Criddle