Re: [GTh] Apocryphon of John

  • fmmccoy
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 13, 2005
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Tom Saunders" <tom@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 12:29 AM
      Subject: [GTh] Apocryphon of John

      > Hi Frank,
      >
      >> "So, Tom, while there are superficial features suggesting some connection
      >> between the thought of the AofJ and Taoism, a deeper analysis suggests
      that
      >> there are no real connections between the thought of the AofJ and
      Taoism."
      .
      > I appreciate your analysis, but the study of the linear perspective, or
      the perspective that clearly shows lineage and polarity starts with the
      model of Wu Chi, not the Tai Chi which hold the Yin and Yang symbols.
      Sometimes the Wu Chi is symbolized by the calligraphical circle, called
      'Enso' which stands for the 'empty space' or infinity where the Tai Chi will
      fill in the empty circle.

      > After the empty circle is the Tai Chi, then the I Ching which has the 8
      trigrams which stand for essential elements, forms the octagon around the
      Tai Chi. It is this perspective that Lesser Yin and Yang must be understood.
      It is the monad, or the center of the I Ching, that forms out into 8
      directions, and in this form this is what the trigrams mean. In another form
      they mean other things. It is like the concept of ascending and descending,
      it changes the perspective and meaning of the symbolism.

      > Frank states "The "he", here, is the Monad, of whom it is said earlier,
      "The Monad [is a] monarchy with nothing above it. It is [he who] exists as
      [God] and Father of everything, [the invisible one] who is above
      [everything, who is] imperishability, existing [as] pure light which no
      [eye] can behold."

      > "Wu chi: This form is thought of as the source or 'void of emptiness'
      from which all creation springs, or the essence of vital or primal energy.
      Wu chi (Wu Ji) means limitless power." The Tai Chi which means 'great
      force works through all the elements of the I Ching, and is the effect of
      the cause, which is Wu Chi. Like in other monadologies this power circulates
      through forms.

      Hi Tom!

      Let us re-look at Tao Te Ching 42a:
      The Tao begot one.
      One begot two.
      Two begot three.

      Here, it is Tao that clearly plays the role of the Monad: for, as with the
      Monad, there is nothing above it.

      If I understand you correctly, you are claiming that it is the Wu Chi that
      is the Monad.

      Perhaps we are saying the same thing two different ways This is because,
      in the Tao Te Ching 28, Wu chi, like the uncarved block, appears to be a
      reference to Tao.

      In this case, in Tao Te Ching 42a, the Tao = Wu chi begot the one of the
      T'ai Chi, the one of the T'ai Chi begot the two of the Yin and the Yang and
      the two of the Yin and the Yang begot the trigrams.

      If so, then I stand by my position that the conceptual framework in Aof J is
      so radically different from the conceptual framework of Taoism that there is
      no real connection between the thought to be found in the AofJ and Taosim.

      Frank McCoy
      Maplewood, MN USA