Re: [GTh] Thomas 60 and Mark 6:29-31 - related or not?

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2005
      > ... the juxtaposition of 6:29's mention of JB's tomb, with
      > 6:31's mention of "a lonely place to rest" is striking. That may be why
      > 6:14-6:29 was put just there. Due to the awkward placement and lack of
      > connection between 6:29 and 6:30, however, it seems rather easier to
      > believe that a redactor did it than the original author. If so, then it
      > was a redactor who was responsible for placing a passage containing the
      > word PTWMA (corpse) in close proximity to the other three keywords ...

      Subsequent reflection has recalled the sandwiching and chiastic patterns
      evident elsewhere in Mark's Gospel. In light of that, the redaction
      hypothesis for 6:14-29 needs further support than given here, and hence has
      to be withdrawn. (It would have to be shown that THIS "insertion" differs
      from other "sandwiched" material - which I'm not in a position to do, and
      have no particular reason to suppose.) The analysis in the remainder of my
      note is unaffected by this issue.