[gthomas] Re: No Matthean influence on 39

  • Paul Miller
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 1999
      Steve wrote:
      After all, if "scribes and pharisees" could
      have been a common Christian trope (does anyone know
      what "trope" really means?) then you cannot use the phrase
      as an identifier for Markan influence.-------------------------

      If "scribes and pharisees" could have been?
      If "scribes and pharisees" was a common Christian figure of speech then I
      agree that the phrase cannot be used as an identifier of Markan influence.

      Paul Miller

    • Jos Stollman
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 1999
        > It think it was reductio ad absurdum I was trying to utilize and
        > not straw man. After all, if "scribes and pharisees" could
        > have been a common Christian trope (does anyone know
        > what "trope" really means?) then you cannot use the phrase
        > as an identifier for Markan influence.

        I think "trope" means return and comes from greek "trepo(mai)"
        You see this also in 'tropical zone', the zone where the suns returns twice
        a year.
        The common Christian trope is an expression one returns to from time to
        time.

        Jos Stollman (astronomer with classical background and special interest in
        Gth)